Loads for Elk

Cowboy18

I am going to idaho this fall and trying to get some Ideas for loads i can work up in my 300 wsm that would be good for elk and mule deer. Thanks

My 300 WSM likes H4350 and Berger 180 Hunter Elite.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I've loaded the 168 TSX for a friends 300WSM. He has taken elk, mountain goat, Bighorn sheep, fallow deer and Red Deer with it! It blows through elk like crazy, so I can't see where anything heavier would be needed.

Any bonded or mono bullet will work just fine. Just keep shooting until they drop.

idcwby

I have been taking my elk each season with a 6.5 & the Barnes 120gr mono since 1994. For your 30 cal I highly recommend the Barnes 150 gr TSX/TTSX. It will penetrate completely thru heavy muscle & bone from any angle. I have a hunting friend that uses a 308 with the Barnes 130gr mono. Takes his elk cleanly each season with this combo. When using the mono's you have to forget every thing you know about C&C bullets. The mono is a whole new learning/understanding curve of bullet behavior on game. They penetrate as if they were far heavier. With the 150gr Barnes you could easily take two elk standing side by side. It is critical you understand their penetrating ability.

Loaded for a friend of mine 150 gr TTSX for his 300 WSM. 1" groups at 200 yards with Alliant RL 16, Federal LR primers and Winchester brass. 3250 FPS. He thinks that is the best load ever.
I happen to like the federal trophy bonded tip in my rifle.

I shoot a Model 70, .300 WSM. My favorite load is a Federal Edge TLR, 200 gr. I have taken elk with both factory and hand loads. This bullet is the most accurate I have ever used and has the best terminal performance. I have taken elk with this load the last three years, all over 500 yds. I use 63.2 gr of RL16, Federal cases, CCI 250 primers producing 2830 fps.

All of our 300 WSM's run 215 Bergers under R26 in the 2950 ish range depending on the rifle, one of the nicest set ups for deer and elk!

Same as bigngreen. Seems to work quit well. Guess I should clarify I do use 4831sc and don't get quite the velocity.

Nosler AccuBond, AccuBond LR, Barnes TTSX, or LRX would be my first choices. Not necessarily ion that order. If you can get some Federal Terminal Ascent bullets, they would be awesome for elk (very similar to the North Fork I use but with a tip for higher B.C.). I plan to work up TA loads as soon as I can get my hands on some.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.