280 Ackley Improved loads for Idaho Elk

I think the 160-180berger or weight range would be good. Would you be opposed to try the Hammer bullets?

A buddy just took a nice bull in NM last week with the 168gr Berger hunter out of his 280ai at 702 yards. He runs RL 26.

I have an older Remington mtn rifle....noodle barrel is 22"..280ai
If i go hotter the gun really likes to jump up and rip the hat brims apart...
Nosler brass..fed 210..55gr 4831sc...2630 fps....
168lrab....not a hot load...just enough for my liteweight rifle...
Original barrel rechambered...not sure of the twist...shoots 1 & 2 together at 100 yards..3 is a little high left....that is one shot after the other....just like a hunting scenario....
And the 168lrab could be a little too heavy for this rifle to really perform.....might drop out to some liteweight hammers soon....

NickW...
I have a few pounds of rl26....would like to know suggested start loads....

I have a .280AI w. 26" 1:9" Proof on it.

175 Berger Elite over RL23 @ 2975. Max load in my rifle, but crazy accurate and hits like a lightning bolt. I would have no issues taking elk @ 700 with it.

I will let you know how is does on cow elk this weekend. My older daughter's hunt starts tomorrow.

I know this is an old thread but I'm shouting 168gr Berger VLD's, shooting 63gr of Retumbo which is a compacted load, BR2 primers, .010 off the lands. This load has worked out very well for me. Shooting a 25" barrel at 2940fps with zero pressure issues. The rifle has killed 2 deer and 4 elk in the last few years and will hopefully kill a few more in the next couple weeks. This is a very forgiving load in my rifle.
I built/bought it for an ID elk hunt, it's mostly been shot by my wife and kids since, I mostly archery hunt. Can't imagine a much better all around cartridge or load.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.