280 rem for elk

craneman73

im going to be hunting with my rem. 280 this year i have always used
165 g. rem.core lokt sp. I have been looking at hornadys 139g sst bullets
i know the 139g bullet is smaller but on the web.site it says that it has more
energy at 200& 300 yards but should the 165g rem. be better on elk or swap to
the hornadys

I shot several elk with my .280 and 140 gr. Nosler Partitions. It always worked very well for me and I think you will be fine. I would pick a quality constructed bullet and shoot the one that your rifle likes the best. Good luck.
David.

Welcome to LRH.

Both are capable to take down an elk on a well placed shot on those distances.

If you handload you'd have more options. However, if not, my preference would be to use the heaviest bullet (with the highest BC possible) that accurately shoots out of your rifle, i.e., Federal's .150gr NP or HSM's .162gr BTSP Interlock.

In the .140 grainers, try HSM's Trophy Gold Berger VLD or Federal's NAB.

good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Ed

thanks guys well i have had my 280 for three weeks now only got to shoot
one box of shells threw it so far. At 100 yards i put four shots the size of a quarter
for me thats good (no bench) its a rem.700 cdl stainless with a fluted 24in barrel its
a limited edition wood stock love it

DO NOT use the SST for elk! Go with the BTSP or preferably the Interbond for elk. The SST opens up way too fast on an animal the size of an elk. Trust me, as I used them one time by mistake when I loaded my 30-06 with them instead of my Interbonds. I shot a cow elk broadside that evening at about 125 yards and the SST blew up on the near rib and I didn't find her until the middle of the next morning. That's the only animal of over 100 I've shot that went more than 50 yards and I lost half the meat due to the warm weather overnight before I found her.

There is no such thing as an Interbond SST. They are two completely separate bullets. The SST is designed to open quicker than you would want a bullet to expand on an elk. Tha's why I had that problem when I goofed and put them in my 06 instead of Interbonds that evening for the cow hunt.

Topgun, thanks i see interlock not interbond..i've killed lots of bulls always with btsp's and one with an accubond penciled in and out...60 yard shot wasn't happy I had to track him a ways..This is the first year I plan on using my .280 ackly. she shoots very well holds half moa with 162 a-maxes out to 1450 yards but don't want to hunt close with them..so btsp's it is. thanks!

I'm not knowledgeable on them from use, so I can't comment from that perspective, but I'm a Hornady fan of their factory loads and reloading components. Here is what Hornady says about their GMX bullets:

"The new Hornady GMX™ (Gilding Metal eXpanding) bullets and factory ammunition offer the hunter who favors an expanding monolithic bullet a better choice. GMX bullets are constructed of the same gilding metal used to make ultra-consistent Hornady bullet jackets. Gilding metal doesn't foul like "sticky" solid copper and strategically located grooves in the bearing surface of the bullet reduce pressure. These additions make the GMX easy to load using standard published data for comparable Hornady SST® bullets."
"Hornady engineers designed the GMX bullet to perform across a very wide range of velocities, from +3,400 to 2,000 fps, and perform it does. GMX bullets are designed to expand to 1.5 times their original diameter and retain over 95% of their original weight. They're no slouch in the penetration department either, routinely penetrating over 30" in gelatin tests."
hornady_GMX_150.png

This is the first year I plan on using my .280 ackly. she shoots very well holds half moa with 162 a-maxes out to 1450 yards but don't want to hunt close with them..so btsp's it is. thanks!

The 168 Berger VLD's have performed very well (close or far range) for 2 of us here in Montana that shoot the 280AI. Took a bear this spring at 40 yds and an elk last year at about 50 yds and they didn't go 5 feet. I have yet to experience a VLD at close range to be a problem as some people have stated. In my opinion they really shine at the extended ranges on game.

Opinions vary but the Nosler Partition has put down a great many elk and will continue to
do so.
Elk are a tuff animal through the years shot placement and a second shot in them while down
years past shot one and it was a well placed shot. Started towards the animal it bolted and
off it ran was unable to get a fast second shot long of the story. Running died over 3/4 mile
down into yes you guessed it heavy down fall.......Now when they go down a second shot is placed and a third made ready. his was done with a 06 and 180 gr bullet.......
With your 280 you can push a 160gr NP up to 2800 fps at a BC of .465 which is very good but not great....
For over 50 plus years been a good selling bullet set some standards.......
They are on my reloading bench and will be loaded soon......
Just my ........ .02

I've shot a 162gr.Amax for the last couple years and have shot half a dozen elk and a few more than that of deer and none of them have made it more than 10 steps. That's from basically point blank to over 1100yrds. But that is out of an stw

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.