Muzzleloader for elk

RogerLaFleur

I know this is primarily a high power rifle group but I could use some advice regarding muzzleloaders. I will be hunting elk in Idaho this year and using a muzzleloader, their regulations are somewhat restrictive in type of gun that can be used (no scope, no sabots and no pellets) the last time I hunted with a muzzleloader was about 30 years ago and I used a 50 cal. TC Hawken. I've noticed that the guns have become more sophisticated and was wondering if any of you folks could give me some recommendations on the best gun to use given the Idaho requirements. My budget is $500- $750. I thank you in advance for any suggestions.

I would look into cva accura v2 series. I believe they have one that is "colorado ready" which is open sights and may have breech plug for loose powder already. My cousin bought one that I was able to play with and it is very accurate (~ 1 inch at 100 yards) with both federal "bor lock" as well as copper powerbelts using 100 grain by volume of blackhorn 209. I have a tc omega that shoots well with the powerblets and blackhorn so I don't need another, but if I were to buy a new muzzleloader it would be a cva accura v2 long range with the begara barrel. I would think with practice you could comfortable shoot elk size vitals at 150 yards or less open sights.

I'm not sure if it is still this way... but i believe in idaho you cannot use 209 primers, and you must be able to see the cap when the hammer is cocked and ready to fire. the knight wolverine i think would meet the limitations.

I'm not sure if it is still this way... but i believe in idaho you cannot use 209 primers, and you must be able to see the cap when the hammer is cocked and ready to fire. the knight wolverine i think would meet the limitations.
Thank you, I believe you are right regarding 209 primers, my other concern is accuracy in the 150 -200 yard range.

You can go to the knight muzzleloader page and pretty well build one to the specs you need as far as ignition system, caliber and stock color. Great guns but they are a little more expensive than the CVA.

Thank you, I believe you are right regarding 209 primers, my other concern is accuracy in the 150 -200 yard range.
I believe accuracy wise you will be fine with any of the quality guns out there. My tc omega is incredibly accurate with Thor 250gr solid copper bullets. I'd be more concerned with what kind of velocity you will have. i do not know what a max powder charge is with cap or musket cap ignition. It could be the same as with 209 ignition, but I do not know. I run just under a max charge in my gun with the Thors and blackhorn 209 as well as with 777....but i can use 209s.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.