30-06 loads for elk

Hi guys, I am a new shooter and a new hunter and would like to make some good choices. I have been diligently searching the forum for info on this topic, and my results are mixed. As always we have the O'Connor folk that think a .270 is just fine and others who won't hunt elk with anything less than a .338.

So I don't mean to open that can of worms. But it looks like my go to gun for the next year or two will be my 30-06. I have a 20 year old Savage model, which still shoots about 2 moa. Okay maybe 2.5. So I won't be shooting at anything longer than 300 yards.

I would like to hear from some people not just loads they recommend but maybe the logic behind the choice, if you can teach me to fish that should be better than giving me a fish. Can you shoot a 150 grain? Do you have to go 180? Is it an issue of balancing weight and expansion? What other factors are there?

Thanks in advance, I would rather be a credit to the hunting community than a liability, I think a more knowledgeable bullet selection would help out in that regard.
I'm really hopping that rifle has been cleaned properly in it's life. If not, :
First thing- clean the 20 years of fouling out of the barrel. Especially if you are going to be using solid copper bullets. Twenty years ago, the majority of bullets for hunting had "gilding metal" jackets. (Gilding metal is a copper alloy-a type of brass, comprising 95% copper and 5% zinc ). It is harder than copper, and in a barrel it's build up is less. But using solid copper bullets on top of gilding metal deposits results in faster fouling build-up comprised of both metals and powder residue. The copper kinda welds itself to the gilding metal. This can disrupt accuracy. So clean the barrel to bare metal, or as close to bare as you can get. That will also give you the opportunity to determine if the barrel should be replaced.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.