Loaded up my first hammers this evening

I'll probably get yelled at but you probably don't have to push the upper pressure to get a reliable killing weapon with that combination. I make everyone I load the hammers for send me photos of the bullet performance. One was a bad uphill running away shot that went almost full length from the rear of a big body eastern Washington mule deer. I would focus on getting a consistent load and make a turret or dope sticker

I do have partials containers of 4451 and 4955. Won't touch them for this. Cuz what if they're great!?!? I'd rather not know.

No need to buy h380 I see…I already have leverevolution and cfe223. They're right between varget and h380 on the chart.

Something about loading a .257 weatherby with cfe 223 feels wrong 🤣

It's nice to have a chronograph when you're experimenting. A big jump in velocity can be an indication you're over the edge. Looking at hodgon load data, if it were me, with the powders you have on hand, id be trying the h4350. Shows around 3900 fps . Id also try some 6.5 staball just for kicks as I've had really good luck with it. Anyways, be careful with case capacity with those fast burning powders and that extra weatherby freebore as there can be a secondary detonation as the bullet makes the seal with low case fill shooting angles

Hahaha, talk about 'pucker factor', that CFE spikes hard! If I were inclined to load such a combo in the name of science, I'd probably be pulling the trigger with a loong string!
Is 380 less "spiky" ?

I have next to no experience with either of them.

Historically magnum cartridges use magnum powders haha. Very comfortable and experienced with everything 4350 and slower.

Walk on eggshells and feel like a rookie again with anything faster burning than that haha - though I have worked with a fair bit of 4064. That's the Only exception.

Is 380 less "spiky" ?

I have next to no experience with either of them.

Historically magnum cartridges use magnum powders haha. Very comfortable and experienced with everything 4350 and slower.

Walk on eggshells and feel like a rookie again with anything faster burning than that haha - though I have worked with a fair bit of 4064. That's the Only exception.

No experience with H380 myself.

I really like H4895 - it's great to experiment with because its safe for reduced loads. Super versatile, but probably too fast for your application in the wby case though and unlikely to offer the velocity you are looking for.

@ButterBean has a lot of experience getting the most out of these pills, he won't lead you astray!

Got some more work up loads to test. Not sure when I'll get to do that, might be a bit.

75 grain hammer hunters.

From 65 to 73 grains of h4350 in 1 grain increments

From 61 to 68 grains of h380 in 1 grain increments.

I'll let y'all know

@ButterBean you think I'm in a safe starting place for the H380?

No load data for anything that fast in 257 bee anywhere I could find. I've based my
H4350 load range off abundantly available data. Should be ballpark and for sure safe.

I will say the h380 has a way better case fill than I expected. No worries about detonation or anything. Still ball powder but not near as dense as SUPERFORMANCE, which is crazy dense and as a flattened ball powder packs in even tighter and just doesn't seem to play by any conventional rules at all….kinda like hammers 🤣🤣🤣🤣

And after just doing some comparison and research again regarding fill I'm with @Hand Skills … don't care what hammers have going for them, no way in HECK I'd try cfe223 in this case for any reason under any circumstances

Last edited:
When I'm in uncharted territory, I use a string. Can always build another gun, fingers and eyes not so much.
Well I do understand that but it apparently isn't totally uncharted…others have gone before me haha.

Reminds me of the first Indiana Jones movie when they're looking into a snake pit they need to get through…his Egyptian friend looks in there and says

"Asps….very dangerous….YOU GO FIRST!!!" 🤣