First load up of 300wm

dsmhero

Just looking for suggestions and critiques as this is my first loading of any rifle cartridge.

My rifle:
Main Use: Hunting
300 Win Mag
Remington 700 SPS
Vortex 4-16x42 Diamondback HP

I figured out my Max COAL while touching the lands at 3.555" and going to load it out to 3.535" using 180 grain AB's.

I am using once shot brass from the Remington Corelokts I was using. I resized the brass so that it would chamber with just a small amount of resistance, but I did notice that I wasn't even bumping the shoulder back, it was actually growing ~0.002. My guess is that since this is a production rifle, that the chamber is fairly sloppy. Does that seem correct?

I have 29 pieces of brass to load up tonight, here are my thoughts while using H4831

x2 68
x2 68.5
x2 69
x2 69.5
x3 70
x3 70.5
x3 71
x3 71.5
x3 72
x3 72.5
x3 73

I will be using a chronograph and looking for early pressure signs. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I love browsing this forum and there is a good group of people here, glad to be a part of it.

Just looking for suggestions and critiques as this is my first loading of any rifle cartridge.

My rifle:
Main Use: Hunting
300 Win Mag
Remington 700 SPS
Vortex 4-16x42 Diamondback HP

I figured out my Max COAL while touching the lands at 3.555" and going to load it out to 3.535" using 180 grain AB's.

I am using once shot brass from the Remington Corelokts I was using. I resized the brass so that it would chamber with just a small amount of resistance, but I did notice that I wasn't even bumping the shoulder back, it was actually growing ~0.002. My guess is that since this is a production rifle, that the chamber is fairly sloppy. Does that seem correct?

I have 29 pieces of brass to load up tonight, here are my thoughts while using H4831

x2 68
x2 68.5
x2 69
x2 69.5
x3 70
x3 70.5
x3 71
x3 71.5
x3 72
x3 72.5
x3 73

I will be using a chronograph and looking for early pressure signs. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I love browsing this forum and there is a good group of people here, glad to be a part of it.

Well it sure sounds like your looking at all the veritable's.. if I was looking to get a finally tuned rifle load with an off the rack factory rifle, I think I'd check see if it has a concentric action and bore, be sure the rifle can handle your quality match loads. Other wise why go into 0.000" of if measurement, just not worth the time in many case's. Most folks that work up high end load would probably start with something other than Remington brass for top end loads.
Just my .02
Cheer's good luck

Personally I would start at 70 grains. Nosler's data has been pretty conservative for me so far. My experience with the AB's has been to run them toward the upper end of the load spectrum rather than the lower.

Try some Bergers in the 210-215 range as they have performed well for almost everyone of the members here at LRH.

KB

I think I would start at 70 grains and work up, with the 180 AB and H4831SC my gun likes 74.5 grains..anything under 70 grs with that combo and velocity is going to be in the 30/06 range..

I'm also working on a 300 WM with the 215gr Berger. If I was going to work up a load using the 180gr Accubond and H4831 I would load one each in half grain increments starting at 70gr and load up to 74gr. I would shoot those through a chronograph checking each for signs of pressure. When finding the max and the velocity I want then comes the seating depth search then back to tweaking the powder.

Here is a screen shot of the Quickload results of your load at near max. 74.5 is a maybe depending on your rifle.

Longrange.JPG

You seem to be going about it just right. If 4831 doesn't work, try 4350. @ 71 grains it was the most accurate in my gun and shoots 3240. Looking forward to seeing some groups!

Wow, thank you all for the replies. I was originally looking for H1000 but couldn't find it.

I took the advice to start at 70gr and work up to 74, in 0.5 gr increments. I have them all loaded up and ready for tomorrow. Thank you again and I will update with a field test.

You might try H1000 also..

And RL-22 if you can find it a lot of guys here swear by it with 180 AB's and so do I. Somewhere between 74-75.5 grains. I load 74 with the AB's 7828 is also a good performer with 180 class bullets.

I've had good luck with 70gn of IMR 4350 using 180gn Nosler AB shooting at around 3000FPS and good groups.

Still haven't made it out to the range. My buddy with the chrono is going to be gone for the rest of the week. But I will keep you updated.

Maybe I should load up some 223 while I wait....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts