First Hammers

I started out with 140 gr Speer Gold Dots with this gun but 3 powders later I gave up on em. Today was the first hammers I've ran through it. Shot better groups doing a pressure test in .3 gr increments with the shockhammers than it did shootin groups with the 140s.

I started out with 140 gr Speer Gold Dots with this gun but 3 powders later I gave up on em. Today was the first hammers I've ran through it. Shot better groups doing a pressure test in .3 gr increments with the shockhammers than it did shootin groups with the 140s.
Get used to that since that's what typically happens when working up loads with Hammers. If it doesn't act that way, you'll want to switch powders.

I will echo all that's been said. I load them in every rifle I have which is a lot. My 6.5-300 bee holds 1/2 on my good days too 700 at 3530fps and my wife's 26 nosler shoots the same 124 but with retumbo at 3680 backed it down a grain to 3660 and it's beat group is in the .3s. I came from Barens and will never go back. My 6.5 Sherman short is running the absolutes at 3392 and half minute groups. Load to mag length and run powder till you hit pressure and you will be more than pleased. Just my results.

I followed Butter Beans advice and was rewarded. At 1/8 turn on the Lee FCD crimp die in a 280 AI seated in the most forward grove (center of grove) using the 140 gr. AH, H 4350, fed 215 M, nosler brass at 3228 fps. Below are 3 shots at 100 yds. With just a light or no crimp it shoots 3/8 inch.

Attachments

• 280 ai AH 140 GR. 1 8TH TURN.jpg
    280 ai AH 140 GR. 1 8TH TURN.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 86
I followed Butter Beans advice and was rewarded. At 1/8 turn on the Lee FCD crimp die in a 280 AI seated in the most forward grove (center of grove) using the 140 gr. AH, H 4350, fed 215 M, nosler brass at 3228 fps. Below are 3 shots at 100 yds. With just a light or no crimp it shoots 3/8 inch.
Bean is da man! He turned me onto the Lee FCDs and told me how to use em. Can never thank the guy enough. He's the Yoda of the crimping die. Listen to him and shoot tighter groups you will. Lol

Sweet lookin group. My 280AI is next in line for hammer treatment. Got some 143 gr Hammer Hunters and a couple different powders to try. Hope mine stacks em in there like that!

Try RL23 if you have it.
Wish I did. I have RL22 and alot of guys swear by it for 280AI. Some say its temp sensitive but I've found if I work up a load with it when its 75-80 degrees I don't have any problems with it at 30-40. We rarely hunt much colder than that in Louisiana. I've hunted a few times in the 20s but its rare here. I also intend to try Magpro. It'd be sweet if I found a load with that cuz I have 16 lbs of it.

Wish I did. I have RL22 and alot of guys swear by it for 280AI. Some say its temp sensitive but I've found if I work up a load with it when its 75-80 degrees I don't have any problems with it at 30-40. We rarely hunt much colder than that in Louisiana. I've hunted a few times in the 20s but its rare here. I also intend to try Magpro. It'd be sweet if I found a load with that cuz I have 16 lbs of it.
Well, then i guess it's RL22!!
For future reference, RL23 is magic in the 280AI.