Load development newb help

Got my first round of my hand loads tested today. It was 26 F out and no wind. 7mm R.E.M. Mag. 162 grain ELD. H1000 powder. CCI magnum primers. 100 yard targets. Let barrel cool to 40F between shot groups (according to my laser temperature gun). Started with 65gn and went up by .5gn increments up to max load of 68.5gn. I had an obvious accuracy node at 66.5, 67, and 67.5 and the 3 shot grouping was within 1.25" in each of the charge weight groups. After 67.5 there was a distinct shift in the impact and the groups started opening up. I think I started seeing very slight signs of pressure at 68.5 but I'm not really sure. Definitely wasn't any sticky bolt stuff happening but thought I could see some marks on the primers that the others didn't have. The impact zone shifted quite a bit after 67.5 anyway. For the second round I will concentrate on 66.5 to 67.5 grains. At what increment should I make the charges now. I was thinking 0.2 grain increment. Should I test these at 100 yards or stretch it out to 200.

Last edited:
Well I believe I have my load for my 7mm R.E.M. Mag figured out. Let me know if you see something different than I have seen with the results
With the first round results I chose to concentrate on 66.6 to 67.6 grains

Second round I loaded chargers in .2 grain increments and chose 67 grains to be my OCW. Possibly could have went with 66.8

Third round was seating depth. Started at 3.302" and went up in .010 increments up to 3.370". My max coal is 3.400" settled on 3.320". Now I will load up a bunch and try them out to 300 yard. Not sure why I have two grouping close in each group and the other one no so close. I let the barrel cool down 5 minutes between each shot

Settled on this

i have a question. if you back off the lands then are you not pushing the bullit farther back into the casing? which makes the round over all shorter?

You are correct. When you seat the bullet farther off the lands it seats it deeper in the case thus shortening the OAL

Steve

Thanks one of the other guys that posted on this thread had it backwards. any way i have another question.How do you mark your brass for the purpose of keeping the times that the case has been fired?`i had some one tell to scratch a line on the case head with a screwdriver,. I think thats alittle bit on the ****** side of marking your brass.thanks a bunch for any help, Bob. gun)

Thanks one of the other guys that posted on this thread had it backwards. any way i have another question.How do you mark your brass for the purpose of keeping the times that the case has been fired?`i had some one tell to scratch a line on the case head with a screwdriver,. I think thats alittle bit on the ****** side of marking your brass.thanks a bunch for any help, Bob. gun)

Just put them back in the ammo box and mark the ammo box for times fired.

Steve

I do it by filling out a data card for each caseguard or write it directly on the box if I'm reusing factory cardboard boxes.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ack-of-50-and-colored-box-stickers-pack-of-48

Scoring your brass isn't a good plan, in doing so you create weakened spots.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.