280 load development help

letrbuck

Hey guys,

I'm still relatively green in the handloading world... and need some suggestions for some load development on my Ruger Hawkeye Allweather in .280 Rem. (Trigger is tuned to ~3 lbs and it's sitting in a pillar and glass bedded Boyd's stock) I've played around so far with 150 nos BT, 140 accubonds, and 150 Swift sciroccos. So far, the sciroccos have been best at near max (no pressure signs tho) charge of H4831sc. But I haven't found a "sweet spot" yet. I want to try a couple more bullets that I've found and that friends have given me and I've picked up a couple more powders. Here's what I've got:

Bullets I have:
140 Nos Accubond
150 Nos BT
150 Swift Sciroccos
150 accubond LR

Bullets I can have "samples" of from a friend:
Hornady:
100 HP, 139 GMX, 162 SST
Sierra:
150 HPBT, 160 boat tail, 175 boat tail
Nosler:
120 bal tip, 140 bal tip, 160 Accubond

Powders I have:
H4831sc
Varget
RL19
RL22

Load development is fun, but I dont want to spend a huge amount of time and money sending tons of different bullet/powder/seat depth combos down the tube

Thanks for any input you might have!

Oh, and I've got Nosler brass, Win LR and Fed 210 primers

Reloder 22, 150 grain Accubond LR, and Fed 210 primers...that would be my first try.

If that bullet won't work, move on to the Swift 150

My son's Ruger Mark II in 280 Rem. loves 140 grains Accubonds, in RP cases, WLR primers and 57.0 grains of RL-19. According to the Nosler manual this is a max load so start low and work up. I have also found that H4831 works well with 140 Accubonds in this same gun.

In my Remington 700 CDL in 280 Rem. I developed a good load using RL-22 and 150 Nosler Accubond LR. MY load is 55 grains of RL-22, WLR primers , in RP cases. This is not a max load but was very accurate.

Are the accubond LR picky with seating depth? Or just go with .010 off?

Try them first at 3.33" OAL (tip to base)...they tend to like the jump, they were designed that way....go longer .005" at a time until you see what you're after.

I don't think I have loaded enough of them to say anything definite, but I think that the regular Accubond are less picky. I just lucked into the correct COL with my load. Measured from the ogive my COL in 2.820.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.