Load Development Help/Opinions

Thank you all for the replies. They are very helpful. I haven't measured the length of the chamber yet. But I know I can except COAL length for the mag at 3.625". I read multiple places where Barnes like to be jumped. So that is why I loaded them to book length. Which at the time I knew I could load them longer.

73.0 grs. was the one I thought I would start tweaking. With a powder charge up to 74.0. Then find the best and start tweaking seating depth. Yes, 73.5 has 2 rounds through the same hole. That was shot 1 and 2. 3 was the flier.

I know a lot of guys test their loads with a Magnetospeed strapped to their barrels. I just can't get myself to do that. I don't want anything to skew the load process.

Thank You
Jason

"It Ain't What You Don't Know That Gets You Into Trouble.
It's What You Know for Sure That Just Ain't So"
A favorite saying of Will Rodgers and many other philosophers but the concept dates back before recorded history.

To keep it on topic,
I don't concern myself much with the chronograph except as an indicator of over-pressure until I find an accurate load at short distance like 100 or 200 yards. Once I have a good load I go by the chronograph to refine the load for long range before making the long drive to a range where I can actually shoot the distance. Single digit ES is irrelevant if the group is poor!
I do not use the Magnetospeed. We want to reduce and define variables, not add more.

For my experiences, your method makes sense to me.

I tried to do seating depth testing before powder testing (just because I hadn't tried it that way before) and it went terrible the one time I tried it. I won't be doing that again anytime soon.

Could you describe how you go about your primer testing or point to another thread that details it? I have recently found a few cartridges that saw significant improvement with primer changes, but I don't have a procedure that I follow specifically for primers.
There are different ways. I don't have easy access to 600+ yards. So I just shoot my entire node with 3 shots strings in .1 increments looking for the most consistent primer /load.

Notice I'm looking for the most consistent. I'll take the load with 5 to 7 SD and ES of 20 and hold that node for .5 to .7 grains over the load that is .2-.3 SD and ES of 10 but only holds it for .2 to .3 grains. It's all about consistency. I'll try and post some pictures from log book that might help.

Others will shoot a ladder test at 600 to 1000 yards on a calm day with each primer. It's all about getting the most consistent ignition.

Your first node is around 73.3gr. I bet you'll find another around 76gr also. I would keep working up until I find pressure. I'd also want to know where the touch point is for my bullet.

I always pick a safe moderate powder charge and do seating depth testing first. Once I've found where the bullet likes to sit, I then do a powder charge test, OCW style.

If I know through experience how much jump the bullet likes, I skip the seating test and go straight to powder charge.

I don't touch the chrono until load development is complete. Once I have a speed, I confirm the load at distance.

There are different ways. I don't have easy access to 600+ yards. So I just shoot my entire node with 3 shots strings in .1 increments looking for the most consistent primer /load.

Notice I'm looking for the most consistent. I'll take the load with 5 to 7 SD and ES of 20 and hold that node for .5 to .7 grains over the load that is .2-.3 SD and ES of 10 but only holds it for .2 to .3 grains. It's all about consistency. I'll try and post some pictures from log book that might help.

Others will shoot a ladder test at 600 to 1000 yards on a calm day with each primer. It's all about getting the most consistent ignition.
Are you loading magnum charges in .1gr increments?!?!

What's the delta in internal case volume in 300 PRC Lapua brass over 25 cases?

Are you loading magnum charges in .1gr increments?!?!

What's the delta in internal case volume in 300 PRC Lapua brass over 25 cases?
I start looking for pressure and a node shoot 3 shot strings in .4 increments.
When I find something to look closer I shoot .2 either side of it.
Then to fine tune I shoot the node in .1.

Start 70.0 70.4 70.8 71.2 etc

I think there's a node 70.4-70.8 so I shoot 70.6

I now have data for 70.4, 70.6 70.8.

If I'm liking this load I fine tune by shooting the whole node in .1.

If I had to pick from just looking at the target and bullet holes, I'd pick 74.0-74.5 and work the seating depth. Look at the black around the holes and the size of the holes.....it tells a story. Then revisit the powder charge.

Last edited: