Lightweight, high-performance polished WOOD stock

Kudos! That wood has a liveliness to it! Would love to find a piece like that. Most of the natural, great looking wood here in the Northwest is big leaf maple. Not a lot of walnut hereabouts. I would have to send across country to get a piece like that ( for which I have a "sofa table" idea in mind). Have at it

khmplus

!!

Kudos! That wood has a liveliness to it! Would love to find a piece like that. Most of the natural, great looking wood here in the Northwest is big leaf maple. Not a lot of walnut hereabouts. I would have to send across country to get a piece like that ( for which I have a "sofa table" idea in mind). Have at it

khmplus

!!
I've worked with a few small pieces of quilted big leaf maple for cribbage boards, etc. It's really cool stuff!

How much weight did you lose
I no longer have track of that. I can tell you that with the hollowed & subtly shortened forearm, and the hollowed butt-stock that the rifle weighs 6.9 lbs. scoped, slung, & loaded magazine. No metal work has been done. Yet.
I've mentioned it in the past, but not recently because nothing further has been done. It is a Howa Mini in 7.62x39, Talley one pieces holding a Leupold 2-7x Lightweight. If I can find another 1/2-1.0 lbs it will be my idea of the perfect KA A Zone rifle. In my area the A Zone shots are rarely over 300 yards.
i-K9Qvsbj-M.jpg

CA hunting regions are broken up into different zones. A Zone tends to be the Coastal Ranges and I forget where all else. A has the lowest game density and is the easiest to get to hunt. Which is not the same as it being the easiest to hunt. Lots of hiking up and down ridges with a rifle.

Gotcha , man oh man I'm glad we don't have that here !! A elk tag is good for the entire state but we do have regulations might be cow only or b-t-b only (brow tine bull) . Gotta have an archery stamp to but can hunt elk September- February!!

I've been a composite stock guy for a long time because weight is a big concern to me in my hunting rifles, but I can't shake my strong, likely nostalgic preference for a nice polished high-contrast-grain wood stock. Unfortunately, many wood stocks are quite heavy, and performance-wise it seems wood stocks have been left in the lurch by the new generation of carbon fiber-loving millennial shooters.

So, does anyone know of any high quality, performance oriented wood stocks that are not tanks? 30 oz or lighter, something along those lines. If not, I would also love suggestions for any high-quality, performance wood stocks generally.

Thanks in advance
Not sure what it's made of, but my son just bought an NRA edition Kimber in 338 Fed and the wooden stock is gorgeous. The little rifle weighs a tad over 6lbs scoped - very light with 22" bbl.

CA hunting regions are broken up into different zones. A Zone tends to be the Coastal Ranges and I forget where all else. A has the lowest game density and is the easiest to get to hunt. Which is not the same as it being the easiest to hunt. Lots of hiking up and down ridges with a rifle.
👍

🤨

Yep I'm in love. Just got my 7 prc all put back together after bedding the new stock at laying some fresh cerakote on the metal. The stock finish isn't fooling anyone into thinking it's real wood but from sanding on the inside of the stock I can verify that it is a very tough finish however they did it. It fulfills my want for that wood look with the benefits of modern stock design. I added some grip panels to mine as the finish is very slick.

Attachments

• 20240320_192726.jpg
    20240320_192726.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 33