composite, laminate, stock wood

brody04

Hoping someone can help me out. I have a 300 win mag, 26 inch, browning abolt. Looking to make the rifle a little lighter, will a composite or laminate stock make the rifle lighter than the original wood stock

I will be taking it for mule deer in Wyoming next year, will be doing alot of walking. With the Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50L on the rifle, the guns weighs 9.5 lbs. Thanks for any input

I'm no expert but I like the composite stocks. Don't get me wrong the laminate are great too, they are very strong but to me if you are walking through brush or have harsh conditions then the laminate stock will get scratched and dented. The synthetic stocks can be scratched and dented but to me they seem better for harsh conditions. Just what ever you decide don't buy something because of the price tag, get what fits you and you like.

I'd take the stock off and weight it so you know what your looking at in comparison when buying a new stock. Since i'm not a browning fan i don't look that closely to what is listed for stocks, but if you can find a ultra light composite it could shave a few ounces off for you.

Just an interesting note: On the Browning website, they list the A-Bolt medallion (wood stock) weight at 7 lbs 1 oz in 300 WM. The same rifle in their Composite Stalker (composite stock) has a listed weight of 7 lbs 3 oz. I have owned a couple of Composite Stalkers and found that Browning's Composite was lighter than several of the aftermarket composite or fiberglass stalks available.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.