M70 WSM composite stock

jon12

I got a model 70 coyote a while back in 270 WSM and one thing i noticed is its actually got its own action length that is what I would call a medium, not a short or long action. I would never have noticed except I tried to get a 1 peice leupold base but the short action model 70 base was too short and the long action too long, I had to get a 2 piece. Also I liked the color of the stock of a 22-250 coyote they had in stock better when I bought it but we held them side by side to see if they would swap out and the short action 22-250 was a shorter action than the 270 WSM.

I dont care because I was more after the performance of the WSM, not the compact size like alot of guys, its in a 10 pound gun for me so whats a quarter inch of action length.

But, i was wondering if this means that no regular model 70 short action drop in stock will fit it. Im happy with the laminated stock it came with, but am looking ahead to the future when maybe I would like to upgrade to an HS Precision varmint stock with the bedding block and have it glass bedded in there. Problem is HS only lists short and long action model 70, no "WSM" length action.

Does anybody know anything about this, will the short action stocks fit and im just nuts, or is there no drop in stocks for my action, or do they exist and i just havent seen em, or what??

Thank.

Your right, the WSM is it's own action. I imagine HS will make one for it eventually. I know McMillan does right now and they're a better stock than HS anyway.

I got a McMillian last year for my 300wsm done up in camo color. Might want to go to McMillian web site and look at the different type stocks you can get from them. I'd give H&S a call as I heard they were going to make one for the wsm action.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.