Lightweight, high-performance polished WOOD stock

While I love wood, my first 3 rifles, 1965 Model 70 30'06 from Leonard Brothers in downtown Fort Worth, think about the old subway, that took you to Leonard Brothers. My uncle bought it shortly after I was born. 2nd and 3rd rifles belonged to my uncle Jim, 240 and 257 Bees, took my first Antelope in the mid 70s with the 257. Shot a few Muledeer and Antelope with the 240. Typical glossy Weatherby Mark V finish and more than a few dings and scrapes from years of Jim hunting all over the world with them.

I love wood, but I am about as careful as bull in a China Cabinet with them.

I did have a Boyd's laminate stock dipped in a high grade Turkish walnut film and it was hard to tell it was fake, the lack of pores was the tell tell.

I work with carbon everyday, it's easy to repair, impervious to moistute(as long as it's fully sealed) and temperature doesn't affect it like some woods do. I have a Model 70 Birch stock that is about as attractive as a colonoscopy, but it's almost impossible to ding up.

Wood and light just doesn't seem to belong in the same sentence to me, you get wood for the aesthetic appeal, weight be dammed.

Wood is like the lines of a 55-57 Bel-Air, you can just look and appreciate the sheer beauty of it.

Carbon is all business.

While wood stock purists will turn up their noses at a laminate stock , ive found it to be a great compromise between looks and feel, and performance, rigidity, and weight. I custom make my own out of laminate blanks from boyds. I completely hog out the barrel and action inlet and hand lay carbon fiber to build the area back up before machining out the final inlet. I dont recall what the stock on this rifle weighed but the final product with scope and a #5 contour barrel weighed a touch over 10 pounds.
1000000327.jpg

While wood stock purists will turn up their noses at a laminate stock , ive found it to be a great compromise between looks and feel, and performance, rigidity, and weight. I custom make my own out of laminate blanks from boyds. I completely hog out the barrel and action inlet and hand lay carbon fiber to build the area back up before machining out the final inlet. I dont recall what the stock on this rifle weighed but the final product with scope and a #5 contour barrel weighed a touch over 10 pounds. View attachment 550472
I would love to watch you do this! Nice work!

The barrel channel in my lo-buck ULHR build, just taking mass out of the stock, AL block ties the two sling sockets to each other and to the bipod stud:
i-WzQPF8h-M.jpg

The size of that block gives some idea of how deep the channel under the barrel is.

Recent Posts