Lightweight barrels

CoasttoCoast

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not. Im trying to figure out if a 24 inch carbon fiber wrapped barrel would be better than a light weight contour 24 inch barrel (example: Kreiger makes a 0 contour chrome molly barrel) By better I mean, how does it compare weight wise? Also how does each perform at longer ranges? Im wanting to build a long range hunting weapon chambered in 280 AI. I know the cost of the carbon fiber barrel will be more, but lets not discuss cost, only performance...

Thanks

Not sure if this has been discussed before or not. Im trying to figure out if a 24 inch carbon fiber wrapped barrel would be better than a light weight contour 24 inch barrel (example: Kreiger makes a 0 contour chrome molly barrel) By better I mean, how does it compare weight wise? Also how does each perform at longer ranges? Im wanting to build a long range hunting weapon chambered in 280 AI. I know the cost of the carbon fiber barrel will be more, but lets not discuss cost, only performance...

Thanks

Thin barrel wrapped in thick carbon fiber = lightweight, but VERY strong (because of the carbon fiber). Carbon fiber also absorbs and dissipates heat VERY well, which means less flexibility, which means less barrel whip while the bullet is traveling down the bore. Which, in-turn leads to more accuracy.

Thin barrel NOT wrapped in carbon fiber = pretty much the opposite of the first one.

A good rule of thumb is that the thinner the barrel, the quicker it heats up, and when steel gets heated up, it gets malleable (flexible), which means you get more barrel whip from thinner contour barrels. That's why most tactical and LR rifles have big heavy-contour barrels on them.

Thin barrel wrapped in thick carbon fiber = lightweight, but VERY strong (because of the carbon fiber). Carbon fiber also absorbs and dissipates heat VERY well, which means less flexibility, which means less barrel whip while the bullet is traveling down the bore. Which, in-turn leads to more accuracy.

Thin barrel NOT wrapped in carbon fiber = pretty much the opposite of the first one.

A good rule of thumb is that the thinner the barrel, the quicker it heats up, and when steel gets heated up, it gets malleable (flexible), which means you get more barrel whip from thinner contour barrels. That's why most tactical and LR rifles have big heavy-contour barrels on them.
A thinner all steel barrel is also going to be much harder to tune a load for because they are so whippy.

You won't see anyone serious about log range accuracy shooting a buggy whip thin barrel.

I have a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and I see no significant advantage in accuracy over a steel barrel. The weight savings which is not that much in my opinion does not justify the additional cost. I also don't believe heat is absorbed or disipated any better by the carbon fiber as some folks may believe. Just because you can't feel the heat on the outside (carbon fiber) as much that does not mean the inner lining of thin steel is also at the same temp. To be honest, I like my rig but would not do a carbon barrel again.

If you can't pack around a rifle with at least a #3 contour at 24" for a longer range hunting rifle, it might be a good time to start thinking about hitting the gym a little bit or concentrating your efforts strictly to road hunting...Just sayin' :)

Jokes aside, if serious about long range hunting, I would use a heavier 22" barrel before I ever thought of using a thin 24" pipe. Or put money into a good lightweight McMillan or Manners stock and stick with a thicker stainless barrel. I have handled the carbon barrels and discussed them at length with my gunsmith who has installed a handful of them. They really aren't all they're cracked up to be. If they were, you'd see them on a lot more of the high dollar custom rigs

ABS is probly the leader in carbon wraps right now.Proof is a sister company that does there own in house.You are not going to gain much in a 24'' and not to large caliber.The benefit is more in a 338 type and the more you go past 26''.The miltary and Proof does stuff for them gain in the larger 50 cal type size.A 338 Defiance and a smaller contour wrap I did on a 26'' was 5.5 0z,on the barrel and action.Kirby has built alot of rifles on ABS and not gained that much on wieght or performance for the cost.Ive seen some super light weight builds in steel.Now after this you may think Im against, but I love my 2-338 Normas that are ABS wraps.

Previous poster meant 5.5 LBS, not oz.

Proof Research carbon barrels (which are made just down the road from where I live) weigh in at around 3 to 3.5 lbs for bolt rifles depending on caliber and length.

Yes 5 lb 5 oz. was the barrel and action.I also had another that was slightly larger at 5lb 11 oz. Both 26'' 338 on Defiance.

Previous poster meant 5.5 LBS, not oz.

Proof Research carbon barrels (which are made just down the road from where I live) weigh in at around 3 to 3.5 lbs for bolt rifles depending on caliber and length.

I think that's only about a half to a full pound heavier than a pencil barrel. Would the performance be that much better to sacrifice that much weight?

When considering that the price of Proof Research barrel blank is about $1000, then add in the cost of chambering/fitting and what not, I personally don't think it's worth it at all.

Your best bet for performance is focusing your attention on proper load development and selecting a good well renowned gunsmith. I've seen #2 contour barrels produce accuracy of 1/3 MOA with 3 shots when built by a good smith and careful load development.

Not saying that a good carbon barrel can't produce the same accuracy, but is it worth a pound of less weight and all the extra money to possibly only get equal accuracy? That's for you to decide...

I have a semi-custom built with a pac-nor ultralight 24" barrel. It's my dedicated pack rifle, and I only use it out to mid-range when I'm hunting.

Thin barreled rifles can shoot extremely well, but it takes a lot more focus and control as the shooter to put the bullet where you want it.

And I will say that developing a load for a thin barrel, in my opinion, is actually very easy. Thin barrels whip so much that if your load is not tuned, they shoot downright awful. And that makes it so easy to find a tuned load because the results are so drastically different. Maybe it was just my rifle, but it would shoot 2+ inch groups with un-tuned loads, but once I found the sweet spot, it zipped right up to a legitimate 1/2 MOA rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts