Lightweight barrels

When considering that the price of Proof Research barrel blank is about $1000, then add in the cost of chambering/fitting and what not, I personally don't think it's worth it at all.

Your best bet for performance is focusing your attention on proper load development and selecting a good well renowned gunsmith. I've seen #2 contour barrels produce accuracy of 1/3 MOA with 3 shots when built by a good smith and careful load development.

Not saying that a good carbon barrel can't produce the same accuracy, but is it worth a pound of less weight and all the extra money to possibly only get equal accuracy? That's for you to decide...
Christensen Arms will install, and chamber one of their barrels for like $750 or so. Truing I'm sure would be extra, but still significantly cheaper than Proof Research.

Although I have heard excellent things about both companies, I would still probably go with Christensen, just because of the large price savings over the Proof barrel.

I purchase a 300 rum from Kevin Weaver. It has a 25 inch #2 contour pac nor barrel plus muzzle break. It's on a 1999 action and if I remember correct a Hi Tech Stock. Everything bedded and trued. Purchased for a light weight hunting rifle. Has been shot a little for barrel break in. They were just some older hand loads, 165 grain bullets. They did not group great. I haven't started any load development. Couple questions. Any comments on type of loads to try. Second, when developing a load how long should be allowed between shots. Have a great day everyone.

I purchase a 300 rum from Kevin Weaver. It has a 25 inch #2 contour pac nor barrel plus muzzle break. It's on a 1999 action and if I remember correct a Hi Tech Stock. Everything bedded and trued. Purchased for a light weight hunting rifle. Has been shot a little for barrel break in. They were just some older hand loads, 165 grain bullets. They did not group great. I haven't started any load development. Couple questions. Any comments on type of loads to try. Second, when developing a load how long should be allowed between shots. Have a great day everyone.
To start with I'd say step it up to the 180-210gr bullets. Much better BC's and sd's.

To start with I'd say step it up to the 180-210gr bullets. Much better BC's and sd's.

I plan on using the 180 or 200 grain nosler ab bullets. The 165 were just some old reloads that I needed to use up and thought they'd be ok for barrel break in. thank you

First off, I'm not sure how WildRose believes heavier bullets have anything to do with "better SD??? Good and bad SD on speeds can be had with any bullet in any weight. Heavier will generally give better BC, yes, but SD? That depends on how good you are at tuning a load and sorting bullets and how good of a barrel you have and how consistent your powder is burning and how consistent the primers are and how uniform your brass is and how consistent your headspacing and bullet seating is and how uniform your neck tensions are and the list goes on.....

When testing for a hunting load, think of it this way...You have a really nice buck in your scope. You're dialed in and everything is right. Right as you squeeze to release the firing pin into the primer of your round, you catch a glimpse of something wrong a split second too late before the round fires downrange. He jumps from being startled by something and wheels around just enough before impact that the round hits him in the stomach. He hunches up and takes off running towards some 'dog hair thick' trees and brush. You have about 7 to 10 seconds to get off the other two rounds in your magazine and put him on the ground before he reaches cover. So you fire quickly and he doesnt seem to react. Dang! Must have missed! You load the last round and take a good deep breath, swinging on him like a shot gunner shooting a clay pigeon. You think, I know he's not hit hard and could go a long ways, I've gotta make this one count. BANG! You come back from the recoil to see his legs through your scope kicking up at the sky furiously,then slowly, then still. You did it. You dropped him like a rock with the third shot. GOOD JOB :)

Now what did you get from that scenario? We all have most likely experienced a similar event or will at some point in the future if hunting runs in your veins. That scenario points out that your rifle has to be every bit as accurate on a third shot in rapid succession as it was on the first.

So the answer you are looking for when wanting to know how much time to let a barrel cool when developing a load is simple. None. Get all 3 rounds down range as quickly as you can load another round, breathe, and get another solid hold on the target.

Now time between different 3 shot load recipes? Let the barrel cool nearly all the way down. You basically want to experience a cold bore shot with the first round, and a warmer barrel with the next two and have them all hit in a nice little group. Just like you would want in the scenario I illustrated above. Good luck :)

First off, I'm not sure how WildRose believes heavier bullets have anything to do with "better SD??? Good and bad SD on speeds can be had with any bullet in any weight. Heavier will generally give better BC, yes, but SD? That depends on how good you are at tuning a load and sorting bullets and how good of a barrel you have and how consistent your powder is burning and how consistent the primers are and how uniform your brass is and how consistent your headspacing and bullet seating is and how uniform your neck tensions are and the list goes on.....

When testing for a hunting load, think of it this way...You have a really nice buck in your scope. You're dialed in and everything is right. Right as you squeeze to release the firing pin into the primer of your round, you catch a glimpse of something wrong a split second too late before the round fires downrange. He jumps from being startled by something and wheels around just enough before impact that the round hits him in the stomach. He hunches up and takes off running towards some 'dog hair thick' trees and brush. You have about 7 to 10 seconds to get off the other two rounds in your magazine and put him on the ground before he reaches cover. So you fire quickly and he doesnt seem to react. Dang! Must have missed! You load the last round and take a good deep breath, swinging on him like a shot gunner shooting a clay pigeon. You think, I know he's not hit hard and could go a long ways, I've gotta make this one count. BANG! You come back from the recoil to see his legs through your scope kicking up at the sky furiously,then slowly, then still. You did it. You dropped him like a rock with the third shot. GOOD JOB :)

Now what did you get from that scenario? We all have most likely experienced a similar event or will at some point in the future if hunting runs in your veins. That scenario points out that your rifle has to be every bit as accurate on a third shot in rapid succession as it was on the first.

So the answer you are looking for when wanting to know how much time to let a barrel cool when developing a load is simple. None. Get all 3 rounds down range as quickly as you can load another round, breathe, and get another solid hold on the target.

Now time between different 3 shot load recipes? Let the barrel cool nearly all the way down. You basically want to experience a cold bore shot with the first round, and a warmer barrel with the next two and have them all hit in a nice little group. Just like you would want in the scenario I illustrated above. Good luck :)

SD stands for sectional density which has nothing to do with velocity and yes if you look at those bullets the heavier offerings have higher sectional densities than the lighter bullets.

Bullets with high SD's penetrate better than those with low sd's and bullets with High BC's fly better than bullets with low BC's.

Sectional density is also part of the calculation for determining a bullet's ballistic coefficient.

Oh, my fault. I misunderstood. In all the shooting communities, forums and various literature I have ever read or heard of in my lifetime, SD stands for 'Standard Deviation', not sectional density. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Oh, my fault. I misunderstood. In all the shooting communities, forums and various literature I have ever read or heard of in my lifetime, SD stands for 'Standard Deviation', not sectional density. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
It happens, context is everything. I was talking about bullet construction, how they fly and how well they penetrate/perform on game.

I agree that using heavy-for-caliber bullets in any given bore size is the way to go for hunting. You will sacrifice a little speed and trajectory at the shorter ranges, but the penetration will always be better. Then if a situation arises where a long shot is needed, that's where the heavier bullet BC's really shine because you end up having more speed in the long run downrange which not only gives flatter trajectory, but when coupled with the extra weight equates to a good bit more energy on the target.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts