Lightweight steel vs carbon fiber barrels

It appears a bartlein #2b-#3 would be right at 48oz fluted. That's with a 1.2" shank. For reference I have a fluted Brux #5 .224 22" that weighs 52oz

If I read right, a PROOF Sendero light 26inch 7mm is going to weigh in at 48oz. By comparison, what will the lightest contoured/fluted steel barrels weigh in a similar length?

Acc
It appears a bartlein #2b-#3 would be right at 48oz fluted. That's with a 1.2" shank. For reference I have a fluted Brux #5 .224 22" that weighs 52oz

According to PROOF there is only about a 3 to 6 oz difference between a sendero and a sendero light barrel, depending on caliber. Breech diameters are the same and mzl diameters and contour thickness is where the mass difference is placed.

https://www.proofresearch.com/the-products/barrels/bolt-action-cf-barrels/

If we take a PROOF sendero contour barrel for a magnum rifle, a 26 inch barrel will have a 1.200 breech and a .914 mzl and weigh 3lbs 3 ounces
A bartlein with close specs in the remington sendero (#13 according to Bart) would weight 4 lbs 9oz

Total weight savings - 1 lb 6 ounces.

I read the question wrong. My apologies. You are right about the #13. Brux mentioned they contour blanks to match the proofs but it's not listed on the site

Acc

According to PROOF there is only about a 3 to 6 oz difference between a sendero and a sendero light barrel, depending on caliber. Breech diameters are the same and mzl diameters and contour thickness is where the mass difference is placed.

If we take a PROOF sendero contour barrel for a magnum rifle, a 26 inch barrel will have a 1.200 breech and a .914 mzl and weigh 3lbs 3 ounces
A bartlein with close specs in the remington sendero (#13 according to Bart) would weight 4 lbs 9oz

Proof sendero is a bit thicker than a true Remington sendero. I just ordered a custom Krieger cut to my proof sendero deminsions and they commented on how much more like an m24 it was with a sendero style taper. The "Sendero Light" is more like a normal sendero

Acc

And in this case, with barrels of the same diameter, the steel barrel will be MUCH stiffer than the carbon barrel. Not a fair comparison.

And in this case, with barrels of the same diameter, the steel barrel will be MUCH stiffer than the carbon barrel. Not a fair comparison.

Unfortunately - not true at all
Testing proves that the same contour barrel in metal versus carbon wrapped from PROOF shows the CF barrel is stiffer, has a better harmonic signature, and is more repeatable over time.

Barrel makers have told me first hand they do not want a 100% stiff barrel that never moves. What they want is a very stiff barrel that can be engineered to move specifically and repeatably.

If I read right, a PROOF Sendero light 26inch 7mm is going to weigh in at 48oz. By comparison, what will the lightest contoured/fluted steel barrels weigh in a similar length?
A Bartlein 26" 7mm 3B contour will weigh 3 lbs 14 ounces. A Bartlein 26" 7mm Sendero contour that is fluted will weigh 3 lbs 15 ounces.

A Bartlein #2 extended to 26" will weigh 51.5 ounces. That contour is small enough that they will only make them from Chromoly. That should give you an idea how much metal there is, or isn't, in a CF barrel.

Last edited:
A good test would be to find someone with say a factory stock Sendero and then someone with a Sendero with a Carbon Wrapped Barrel and let people handle and balance each one side by side..The feel, balance, and handling of the gun will show the benefits of each..This is where I believe 90% of the benefits of a carbon wrapped barrel lie for most people. Not taking into account accuracy from custom to factory barrel... Stocks and Scopes can make or break light builds..This is with a fluted pencil or a carbon barrels. So far I have always used Sendero Contour Barrels... Electing for what I believe is more stiffness then saving every ounce. I used to laugh at my brother about spending $100 a pound to shed weight off his snowmobiles... Now we spend $100 an ounce to shed weight off our rifles.....

Unfortunately - not true at all
Testing proves that the same contour barrel in metal versus carbon wrapped from PROOF shows the CF barrel is stiffer, has a better harmonic signature, and is more repeatable over time.

Barrel makers have told me first hand they do not want a 100% stiff barrel that never moves. What they want is a very stiff barrel that can be engineered to move specifically and repeatably.

Testing by Proof maybe...

Testing by Proof maybe...

It is very well known and accepted that ounce for ounce, carbon fiber is stronger and stiffer than steel. Ok don't take PROOFs word, take the word of just one of a hundred scientists and non-shooters that research and make carbon.

As a comparison, steel has a tensile modulus of about 29 million psi (200 million kPa). Thus, the strongest carbon fibers are ten times stronger than steel and eight times that of aluminum, not to mention much lighter than both materials, 5 and 1.5 times respectively.

http://zoltek.com/carbon-fiber/what-is-carbon-fiber/

As such, any similar contour of steel will be weaker and more prone to stress and environmental (heat) variables than carbon will be. Carbon is stronger and stiffer than steel.

It is very well known and accepted that ounce for ounce, carbon fiber is stronger and stiffer than steel. Ok don't take PROOFs word, take the word of just one of a hundred scientists and non-shooters that research and make carbon.

As a comparison, steel has a tensile modulus of about 29 million psi (200 million kPa). Thus, the strongest carbon fibers are ten times stronger than steel and eight times that of aluminum, not to mention much lighter than both materials, 5 and 1.5 times respectively.

As such, any similar contour of steel will be weaker and more prone to stress and environmental (heat) variables than carbon will be. Carbon is stronger and stiffer than steel.

Except in the above scenario the steel barrel is 1 lb 6 ounces heavier, so your ounce for ounce theory is bunk.

But yes, agreed if they are equal WEIGHT.

Except in the above scenario the steel barrel is 1 lb 6 ounces heavier, so your ounce for ounce theory is bunk.

But yes, agreed if they are equal WEIGHT.

Although I appreciate the support on the weight for weight...if we take the tensile strength calculation as written, stating Carbon is 10x stronger than steel, the 1 lb 6 ounces of steel does not make up the difference in strength.

Regardless, neither is more accurate than the other. I have both.

Although I appreciate the support on the weight for weight...if we take the tensile strength calculation as written, stating Carbon is 10x stronger than steel, the 1 lb 6 ounces of steel does not make up the difference in strength.

Except everyone knows it wouldn't take a 30 lb steel barrel to equal the stiffness of a 3 lb carbon barrel...sorry, go hang some weights off them with a couple dial indicators on them if you don't believe me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts