Carbon Fiber vs. Fiberglass?

AG Composites

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Still can't decide between carbon fiber and fiberglass for your next rifle stock? This short article might make your decision easier...

LRH POST.jpg

So, carbon fiber; stronger, lighter, more expensive and fiberglass; not as strong as carbon fiber, heavier than carbon fiber, cheaper than carbon fiber, both better than wood or plastic factory stocks. And comfishermen added that carbon fiber, essentially, warms faster to the touch.

I was hoping that there may have been some information about potential accuracy differences and performance in big game hunting applications.

Matching gear and rifle components to purpose and the realities of your personal situation is the key. There is just something that makes me feel good about getting behind a comfortable CF stock. Maybe it's the feel and looks or maybe the lack of shoulder pain from carrying a light rifle around on a long days hunt. This is one of the reasons I chose not to hunt with large bore magnums any more.

What about kevlar?

When we were doing a lot of boat work our supply company had an engineer that answered a lot of our tech questions. I asked the why not kevlar questions in regards to stocks and boat parts. The long an short of it was carbon won, because it's the better material. That it was used 30 to 40 years ago when it was between carbon and e glass in price. Carbon has come down significantly and outside of objects needing lots of flex (pole vaulting poles and plates) carbon is the answer when e glass is not.

So, carbon fiber; stronger, lighter, more expensive and fiberglass; not as strong as carbon fiber, heavier than carbon fiber, cheaper than carbon fiber, both better than wood or plastic factory stocks. And comfishermen added that carbon fiber, essentially, warms faster to the touch.

I was hoping that there may have been some information about potential accuracy differences and performance in big game hunting applications.
In a well built stock, really shouldn't be any difference, should there especially if they are built around aluminum bedding blocks.

Anyone have any different information?

Still can't decide between carbon fiber and fiberglass for your next rifle stock? This short article might make your decision easier...

View attachment 544282
I've heard good things about your stocks - think I'll have to give one a try.