Lightweight and Longrange?

tjbill

I have a Model 7 SS in 7-08. Has anyone made any drastic improvements to one of these for longer range work. I know that the light weight works against you, but would a slightly heavier/longer barrel help with this. What about stock choice, as the stock one feels like hollow balsa wood. I use this in the backcountry mostly, so I want to keep it light. I find a ton of info on 700's but very little on the 7. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.
Bill

the Model seven is a great little action its a tiny bit lighter than a short action Rem-700 and I believe that it might be a little bit harder to get longer rounds like the 284 and 7x57 based rounds to fit well but in your caliber or 308 and 260 or 243 it'll work great.
Just because a gun is very light doesn't meen that it won't shoot well at long range , it'll be a little bit more difficult to hold steady but if its accurate at short range try it at long range it'll supprise you , you just may have to make a little more effort to hold the gun still.

The same applys to the M-7 as does the R-700 , generaly speeking they can all benifit from a good bedding and trigger job and a fresh target quality crown.

I've used and rebuilt several Model 7s over the years. Depending on what stock you have, the 7 is a great little rifle. I've used several 7/08 with great success. The Rem syn stock is stiff enough, but heavy for its size. I,ve used Brown Precision stock 1 pounders with great success. A new 22" barrel would help, but not necessary unless you have one of the older Model 7s with the short barrel. Best powder I found to reload was VV550. Not easy to get, but really moves out in 7/08. My main changes that I always do is to put on a Gentry Model 70 type safety with a Rifle Basix trigger. I personally really dislike the Rem safetys, and like an after market trigger that is light and reliable. Check your bedding and float the barrel. My guns always shot 1/2 to 3/4 inch range. Practice with the usual rests and shooting aids. No reason that your rifle can't shoot very well out to 600+ yards. Use 140 grain bullets to get the max out of your case. Any heavier and you can't get enough velocity for long range. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the info! I will definitely start working on it and try some new loads. Wapiti, my brother lives in Spokane and I am up there quite often. I've shot some whitetails out of Colville. Very nice area! Thanks again for the help.
Bill

I purchased a model 7 in .300 saum and plan on doing the same thing. I plan on a new stock and true up the action. I really like the way this rifle feels. I can see more model 7's in the future. You are right about no info about the 7's. It would be good to see your progress. I was going to post my progress here.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.