Light weight 300wm build. Made some changes, Finally Done!

dakotakidd

Have a Remington 700 sps in 300wm. Ordered a short chambered Christensen arms carbon barrel and a McMillan game hunter edge fill stock. I have just over $1,100 into the barrel and stock, barrel just needs head spaced and finished reamed from what I understand. $200-$300 you think? Still trying to find a good smith to do the work. Think the Christensen barrel is worth it? Read a lot of mixed reviews but for $580 I figured I would give it a try.....couldn't see swinging $800 for a proof research. Any thoughts??

Re: Light weight 300wm build. Thoughts?

i didn't realize you could buy a barrel from Christensen. If you need a smith John Berish can do it....hes in SW PA.

I'd find a good gunsmith and chamber your Christensen up with a match chamber to run 215s. You'll smile the first time you handle the finished product. Your smile will only get bigger once you dial it in.

I'd find a good gunsmith and chamber your Christensen up with a match chamber to run 215s. You'll be glad you did the first time you handle the finished product. Then, once you get it dialed in, you'll really feel good about your decision.

Do you think I should start with a barrel blank instead of the short chambered barrel? I just figured I could save some money with this one being partially done(just needs finish reamed and head spaced I think)

Do you think I should start with a barrel blank instead of the short chambered barrel? I just figured I could save some money with this one being partially done(just needs finish reamed and head spaced I think)

Either will work. Since you have a short chamber, use it.

You had better have the smith true the action, or at least check it, or you could be disappointed. You would hate to spend the time and $$ for it not to shoot......Rich

Not sure I want to go to an coal that won't fit in my mag box. I have ran up to 3.60" with a Berger 230 otm. How is the 215 hybrid vs a 210 vid? I was thinking a 210 vld or a 200 eldx would be my two choices.

Not sure I want to go to an coal that won't fit in my mag box. I have ran up to 3.60" with a Berger 230 otm. How is the 215 hybrid vs a 210 vid? I was thinking a 210 vld or a 200 eldx would be my two choices.

The 215 will still fit in a standard R700 mag box just fine.

Finally got my 300 finished.
Stainless Remington action trued by local gunsmith
LongRifles Inc fluted bolt, graphite black cerakote with badger mini knob
26" Christensen barrel with Harrells radial brake.
McMillan Remington Hunter Edge fill.
Trigger Tech trigger
Factory Remington BDL bottom metal
Vortex HS-LR in Talley lightweights on top....for now
Weighs 7lbs 13oz.
No, I have not shot it yet. Busy work schedule, bad weather and planning for a wedding are keeping me from the range.

IMG_5296_zpshbmsviyl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Took a few months, but my wife and I finally got settled in our new home, work slowed down enough to find free time to load some ammo and head to the range.

Started with barrel break in. 3 shots of factory ammo then clean. Repeat for 18 rounds. Enough for a proper break in? I don't know, but that's what I went for.

Switched to hand loads.
200 grain ELD-X Seated at 3.510" OAL giving me about a .020" jump.
H-1000 at 76.5-77-77.5-78-78.5-79 grains
Winchester LRM primers
Once fired ABM (applied ballistics) brass
I did not have my chony and wish I did. 79 should put me over 2800 I would think. Didn't show any pressure signs. I plan to load up 78.5-79-79.5-80 charges and head back out with my chony and see where I am at.
Here's a couple groups. I think the gun is a tack driver if I would do my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts