Light weight magnum build options

Juano86

G'day from Australia,

I have the need to build myself a light weight 300wsm for backpack hunting. One rifle to do it all… Fallow, Red & Sambar deer. Shots are inside 500yrds, so no need for a full blown LR setup.

I have a few options and I'm sort of stuck on which way to go…

I originally bought a used Remington Model 7 stainless in 7mm SAUM to use as a donor (with a Wildcat Composites stock ready to go on it), but now tossing up whether the action is "too short" to get the best out of a 30 cal short mag with 180gr bullets.
Before you blast me about not keeping the 7SAUM, I also have a 7mm rem mag Tikka that I'm running up to 160gr projectiles with.

I've since found a second hand Kimber Montana 8400 in 300 win mag that I could rebarrel to a 300wsm. Has anyone built a 300wsm off a long actioned Kimber 8400 and had any issues? I'm thinking I can utilise the long mag and save some weight with the shorter barrel.

The plan for this build (whichever way I go) is a light contour 20" barrel with removable brake. Talley rings and a Leupold VX5-HD.

My options are;
-Rebarrel the Remington Model 7 from 7SAUM to 300wsm.
-Rebarrel Tikka T3X super lite (also in Wildcat Composites stock) from 7mm rem mag to 300wsm.
-Buy Kimber Montana 300 win mag and rebarrel to 300wsm.

The main reason for wanting a 300wsm over the 300 win mag is to be able to run it efficiently in a shorter barrel. I've looked into the 300SAUM & 300RCM also, but components are just too hard to find.
The factory 7mm rem mag Tikka is hamstrung by the short mag length and twist rate for heavies and the factory 7mm SAUM is hamstrung with the short action mag length also.

The main goal is a sub 7lb 30 cal short mag with a 20" barrel.
Any input, thoughts or recommendations are welcome.
Happy hunting.

I would look at what the COAL will be with the bullets you're intending to use seated at their logical depth. Will that comfortably fit in the mag box of the action(s) that you have available?

What is the target weight for the rifle ready to be used? Can you get there easily with a LA, or will it require extraordinary measures to make weight?

Is the rifle's OAL going to be a big or small factor in the way and area(s) where it will be used?

I built a 6.5 prc off a 300 wm tikka so I can say that is a good option. The 6.5 prc would be similar to going 300 wsm. If you swap out bottom metal and mags to mountain tac, you can select various length internal mags and could change the bolt stop as well to customize your bolt throw to be shorter, if need be. The long action give alot of COAL room in the mag. I left everything alone, kept the 300 wm bolt stop and ordered the mountain tac long action mags, plenty of room and not seeing feeding issues but have really put it through the paces yet. In regards to feeding, the WSMs maybe be slightly wider than the prc, so check that out, maybe mountain tac has wsm mags, I have seen that with hawkins. I know on Rem 700 guys have to open up bottom feed ramp/lips going from 300 WM to WSMs or 300 RUMs, not sure if that is tikka issue though.

Thanks for the thoughts gents.

Currently my Tikka 7mm rem mag is 6.8lb ready to hunt with bolt and sling (T3X superlite, 24" factory barrel, wildcat composites stock, Talley rings and Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40), so I'm after a similar weight goal.

I regularly hunt with a 20" barrelled model 7 in 7mm-08 and that is the ideal size for getting though thick country where I hunt. So that's the aim with the wsm also.

The only reservations I have with using the Tikka is that I would have to;
A- Use factory Tikka WSM magazines for reliable feeding, which also limit COAL.

B- Use the mountain tactical magazines (or others). That rifle already has a mountain tactical bottom metal on it, too. but I don't like how their magazines hang down and are not flush like the factory mags.

The projectiles I'll likely be trying to use will be 180gr Accubonds / bondstrikes etc. and also a 165gr / 168gr TTSX etc. that should cover me for most hunting scenarios.

If I don't end up using the 7SAUM model 7 for a build, I'll either keep it as is, sell it, or barrel it to 350 rem mag or something weird.

The Kimber platform is interesting to me as it has the CRF, which would help with feeding reliability of the WSM cartridge? I've yet to own a model 70 / kimber etc.

ntsqd asked about the rifle's overall length. I suggest that you reconsider your desire for a 20" barrel on a magnum cartridge rifle. In my experience, a couple of inches of barrel one way or the other makes little difference in the field. After all, you're not going to be swinging the rifle like a shotgun.

The Tikka gives you some options you won't have with the Rem.

I have a 300wsm, shoot the scenar 155's in a short action with Saami chamber and with the Hawkins Hunter magnun wsm mags I can reach the lands. Its barrel length is 24" but if I was to redo it, I'd do 20".

I wanted a 20" barrel as I'll probably have a brake I can utilise if needed. I could go a 22" barrel (+2" for brake) and come in around that 24" which is the same as my Tikka factory.
It definitely isn't a deal breaker but I am weary when I have the Tikka on the front of my quad bike as the barrel does hang out and can get snagged on branches etc when on tight tracks too!

The "sub 7#" is with or without optic? The difference between titanium and not is little weight difference, so you could go the xm length and cover both short and long actions. Lots of good action makers that clones rem if that helps (note I'm not a rem fan). Just get a Savage110 action, unless you're not a barrel nut fan? I will say their long action receivers weight 32-34oz. What is the heaviest bullet you're possibly using? If you only using a 20" then no need to seat long. I would make sure you can get dies and other components before deciding. Not just brass, but all else needed.

The "sub 7#" is with or without optic? The difference between titanium and not is little weight difference, so you could go the xm length and cover both short and long actions. Lots of good action makers that clones rem if that helps (note I'm not a rem fan). Just get a Savage110 action, unless you're not a barrel nut fan? I will say their long action receivers weight 32-34oz. What is the heaviest bullet you're possibly using? If you only using a 20" then no need to seat long. I would make sure you can get dies and other components before deciding. Not just brass, but all else needed.
Sub 7lb ready to hunt (including optic).
I did look at a Savage 110 lightweight storm, but they don't make it in a wsm and I'd probably have to get an aftermarket stock etc sorted for it. I don't own a savage centre fire and the nut wouldn't worry me.

Sub 7lb ready to hunt (including optic).
I did look at a Savage 110 lightweight storm, but they don't make it in a wsm and I'd probably have to get an aftermarket stock etc sorted for it. I don't own a savage centre fire and the nut wouldn't worry me.
So, you're wanting an already built/production gun. If so I have no idea? Some short action receivers are not limited to 2.830-2.860"ish, it's usually the mags restricted from the ones I've seen? Maybe get 338rcm (might be 358 instead) brass and neck down if you find 300rcm chambering?

G'day from Australia,

I have the need to build myself a light weight 300wsm for backpack hunting. One rifle to do it all… Fallow, Red & Sambar deer. Shots are inside 500yrds, so no need for a full blown LR setup.

I have a few options and I'm sort of stuck on which way to go…

I originally bought a used Remington Model 7 stainless in 7mm SAUM to use as a donor (with a Wildcat Composites stock ready to go on it), but now tossing up whether the action is "too short" to get the best out of a 30 cal short mag with 180gr bullets.
Before you blast me about not keeping the 7SAUM, I also have a 7mm rem mag Tikka that I'm running up to 160gr projectiles with.

I've since found a second hand Kimber Montana 8400 in 300 win mag that I could rebarrel to a 300wsm. Has anyone built a 300wsm off a long actioned Kimber 8400 and had any issues? I'm thinking I can utilise the long mag and save some weight with the shorter barrel.

The plan for this build (whichever way I go) is a light contour 20" barrel with removable brake. Talley rings and a Leupold VX5-HD.

My options are;
-Rebarrel the Remington Model 7 from 7SAUM to 300wsm.
-Rebarrel Tikka T3X super lite (also in Wildcat Composites stock) from 7mm rem mag to 300wsm.
-Buy Kimber Montana 300 win mag and rebarrel to 300wsm.

The main reason for wanting a 300wsm over the 300 win mag is to be able to run it efficiently in a shorter barrel. I've looked into the 300SAUM & 300RCM also, but components are just too hard to find.
The factory 7mm rem mag Tikka is hamstrung by the short mag length and twist rate for heavies and the factory 7mm SAUM is hamstrung with the short action mag length also.

The main goal is a sub 7lb 30 cal short mag with a 20" barrel.
Any input, thoughts or recommendations are welcome.
Happy hunting.
Inside 500 yards a 270 wsm would be prefect. And flatter shooting. Am switching to the a 129 gr LRX in mine. 130 gr Nosler BT's and Berger CH's are too explosive at 100 yards or less. Factory 130 gr Fed vital shocks are 3300 fps, chronoed. My handloads are between 3089 and 3142 fps. Love the cartridge. A 130 gr Nosler BT prenetrated about ~26" in a hard quartering to cow elk at ~100 yards, she went 49 paces. Didn't hit the shoulder, entered at base of neck, created a fist size hole just under hide and went to rear rib on other side. A 130 Berger CH destroyed the whole shoulder of a 3x3 mule deer that was hard quartering to at 50 yards, hit bone, but still blew a hole into the chest cavity ~3" round, and destroyed both lungs. He went 30 yards. I've never had to do a follow up shot with my 270 wsm. But am going to a solid for less damage and a exit. Another 130 gr Berger CH on a white tail doe at 100 yards perfectly broadside, hit center of lungs on a rib, was so explosive it ruptured the diaphragm and the stomach. I started buying 129 LRX after that. I know you want a 300 wsm, great choice, but to only 500 yards a 270 wsm is plenty, flatter shooting and less recoil.

Recent Posts