Light weight magnum build options

Barrel length sounds pretty ideal to me. I prefer 18 inch barrels, but I like to hunt with a can. 20" 300 WSM in a short action will be outstanding. My previous most was referring to your traditional remington 700 short action, so I can't necessarily advocate for the Model 7 action with 300 WSM (I don't own a model 7). I'm sure it would work, but I use remington 700 short action lengths for 6.5 PRC and would for 300 WSM as well.

Shilen's are great barrels. #2 might be a little thin if you intend to hang a can off the end, but if not, that will be perfect. Not sure about the ideal twist for 300 WSM in shorter barrels, but be sure to consider that you will likely be shooting bullets on the lighter end of the 300 WSM spectrum, so you may not need to go fast on the twist. That's one heck of a light stock. Should be a fun rig

Good luck
Thanks for the info!

The model 7 magazine is the same internal length as the 700 SA. The only difference is you can't put a Wyatt's box in due to the trigger location, so you are stuck with the factory mag box.

We can't run suppressors in Australia so I'm thinking 20" finished length, threaded so I can use a brake for load development if I wish. I will likely not hunt with the brake on.

I generally don't fire more than 2 shots when hunting, so the lighter barrel profile shouldn't affect accuracy. Like my other rifles with thin barrels, you just have to be patient between shots off the bench when doing load development haha.

I'm running the stock t3 in 270 WSM. Got magnum mags and a magnum bolt stop. Pretty light setup. Did put a limbsaver on it. When this barrel is toast I'm either going to chamber it in 7 SAUM or fast twist 270 WSM and shoot the Berger 170's. I bought it used for $515 to do a 7 SAUM but it shot so well I've just been hunting with it.

Attachments

• 5FE737EC-EF44-47B1-950B-A9E7E8B34CF4.jpeg
    5FE737EC-EF44-47B1-950B-A9E7E8B34CF4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 28
Thanks for the info!

The model 7 magazine is the same internal length as the 700 SA. The only difference is you can't put a Wyatt's box in due to the trigger location, so you are stuck with the factory mag box.

We can't run suppressors in Australia so I'm thinking 20" finished length, threaded so I can use a brake for load development if I wish. I will likely not hunt with the brake on.

I generally don't fire more than 2 shots when hunting, so the lighter barrel profile shouldn't affect accuracy. Like my other rifles with thin barrels, you just have to be patient between shots off the bench when doing load development haha.
Agree. That's gonna be sweet. From what I understand, a #2 will be plenty stout without a can, and I doubt you will have too many issues with the barrel walking since you are going to use a shorter barrel anyway. I'm putting one together now with a #3 and it will often have a can on it.

If you're running 180's and even up to the Berger 200.20X you're good with the short action. I run a Kelbly SA with a 20" barrel and it's fantastic. Also you mentioned shots will be inside 500 so you're good. Go for it and have fun!
I run the 200.20x out of mine on a short action and it shoots amazing

You cannot use a 8400 made for a 300WM to use any RUM based cartridge without serious work to the feed rails (widening), magazine windowing or replacement and altering the ejector…too much cost involved.
Stick with the Model 7.

Cheers.
P. S. I am Australian too, and use my Kimber 8400 in 300WM for mountain hunting Sambar deer.

I save weight with a lightweight homemade Safari sling. It has a loop on front and back to go over the barrel and around the butt stock. Your rifle is carried as you would without a sling, and the sling goes over your neck and one shoulder. To shoot quickly, all that is required is to lift the rifle and the loop falls off of the stock. It is the most comfortable way to carry outside of a pack. I eliminated the snap swivels by using a boot lace through the sling stud. My first ones were made to be adjustable, but once you know how long you need, there is enough adjustment in the back loop.

I use a Speedy Sticher Sewing Awl to sew a loop into both ends of a 1-1/2" nylon strap. I run the boot lace through the loop and the stud and tie it off.

I spent hundreds of dollars to get a lightweight rifle, and it seemed silly to put a heavy sling on it.

If you don't stick with the 7 mm saum I would re-barrel the model 7 especially if it is not a proven shooter. You can then just shoot the 168gr or 175gr 30cal bullets without worrying about seating depth and still having a lot of energy on target 500yards and in. Everyone wants a heavy bullet going fast out of a short barrel, but i just doesn't happen.

You cannot use a 8400 made for a 300WM to use any RUM based cartridge without serious work to the feed rails (widening), magazine windowing or replacement and altering the ejector…too much cost involved.
Stick with the Model 7.

Cheers.
P. S. I am Australian too, and use my Kimber 8400 in 300WM for mountain hunting Sambar deer.
Thanks for the tip. I can either wait for a Kimber in 300wsm to turn up, cut up my Tikka 7mm rem mag, or rebarrel the model 7. Decisions!!!
Or, build a 300wsm off a donor magnum Tikka second hand haha. Arghh

If you don't stick with the 7 mm saum I would re-barrel the model 7 especially if it is not a proven shooter. You can then just shoot the 168gr or 175gr 30cal bullets without worrying about seating depth and still having a lot of energy on target 500yards and in. Everyone wants a heavy bullet going fast out of a short barrel, but i just doesn't happen.
I was hoping for a dual load (165gr TTSX and 180gr Accubond, or similar) to use in this rifle. Do you think they won't work loaded for mag length in the model 7?
I've barely even shot the Remington. I bought brass and dies and made up 20 rounds just to sight it in and get ready for some load development, but it owes me little time. I've got a 7mm-08 and 7mm rem mag, so the SAUM I picked up as an impulse buy as they are getting pretty hard to find and I'll end up using it for something haha

The model 7 in 300 WSM 20" barrel will do a fine job as a light hunting tool out to 500 yds.
I have a model 7 in 350 mag that has the mag modified to feed 2.920" cartridges, and took off the barrel and threaded it for a short muzzle brake, aluminum piller bedded the walnut stock and added a tactical bolt handle, and its accurate, 7.5 lbs but could be made lighter, with barrel fluting, different stock etc.

The model 7 in 300 WSM 20" barrel will do a fine job as a light hunting tool out to 500 yds.
I have a model 7 in 350 mag that has the mag modified to feed 2.920" cartridges, and took off the barrel and threaded it for a short muzzle brake, aluminum piller bedded the walnut stock and added a tactical bolt handle, and its accurate, 7.5 lbs but could be made lighter, with barrel fluting, different stock etc.
What modifications to the magazine box were done if you don't mind sharing?
Sounds like you have a great little thumper there!
My only other reservations about using the model 7 action are that you can only get 2 down in the mag vs 3 in the Tikka.