Light weight, light recoil

skywalker

Question: I have a TC Encore 25-06 and a Sako L61R 7mm mag, both of which are kinda weighty. Not a big issue in AL where I mostly hunt from a tripod or shooting house for whitetail. However, I am looking to go mule deer and pronghorn hunting and am looking for a lightweight model gun with a somewhat light recoil. Also, have put in for a couple elk tags, but prefer archery if I can, however, do not want to rule out hunting elk with this either.

Any suggestions? Budget less than 1K.....or trade the sako for a lighter gun in 7mag? Prefer to keep the 25-06 for wife and son to shoot....

skywalker

Question: I have a TC Encore 25-06 and a Sako L61R 7mm mag, both of which are kinda weighty. Not a big issue in AL where I mostly hunt from a tripod or shooting house for whitetail. However, I am looking to go mule deer and pronghorn hunting and am looking for a lightweight model gun with a somewhat light recoil. Also, have put in for a couple elk tags, but prefer archery if I can, however, do not want to rule out hunting elk with this either.

Any suggestions? Budget less than 1K.....or trade the sako for a lighter gun in 7mag? Prefer to keep the 25-06 for wife and son to shoot....

skywalker

you have said the magical word " pronghorn " , i dont know to much about lightweight guns as the ones i have are all built with old Mauser's or Springfield
but the caliber that i like is 6.5x55 mauser so i would think that any mountain gun
from various manufactures would work !!

All the Browning A-bolts I have are light weight and excellent shooters. I have had the same results with the Tikka T3 Lights. Both are good for factory guns. Where are you located ?

When I was 19 me and 3 buddies went on our first western hunt, the 4 rifles were browning a-bolt 30-06, remington mountain 30-06, remington BDL 300WM and remington 7400 .270, we hunted in pairs and went in opposite directions after harvesting an animal we would meet up and the pair that harvested the animal would drag it out and the other pair would carry the guns and gear out and bring the truck as close as possible,....well it didn't take long to realize that the a-bolt and rem mountain where a lot Lighter and every ounce mattered walking 5+miles out. So much so that a few years latter when I couldn't make it out again my buddy borrowed my a-bolt and left his 300wm at home.

So any of the major light carrys will meet your need, browing a-bolt, remington mountain, winchester feather light, tikia t3.

as for caliber for pronghorn, mule deer and possibly elk,....I would suggest the .270wsm it is ideal for the first two and adequate for the last. Not necessarily light recoiling but my 300wsm composite stalker isn't that bad at all in such a light package with a sims recoil pad. If you can handle a 7mag the short mags aren't any worse. otherwise 7mm-08 or 308 family if low recoil is really important.

264 win mag, remington made a special run in the cdl. 26in stainless fluted barrel not too heavy, u can get them on gunbroker from 700-850...if your looking for somthing more simple i would suggest a tikka t3 lite in 270wsm

I second on the Tikka's, good shooters, I saw one in the local gun store used for $400.00. 270 + in caliber and you could have a Smith put a muzzle brake on it and you'd be set. You'd be well under the 1 grand limit and probably enough to get some new optics from like Bushnell, Nikon, or one of the Super Snipers.

Ranger Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.