Light weight magnum build options

What modifications to the magazine box were done if you don't mind sharing?
Sounds like you have a great little thumper there!
My only other reservations about using the model 7 action are that you can only get 2 down in the mag vs 3 in the Tikka.
I can get 3 down in the mag and one in the chamber in 350 mag but the 300 WSM has a slightly larger dia body at .555" vs .532" for the belt. That could be fixed with a .060 Spacer.
I modified the magazine, by reforming it, thinning metal front and back and extending it mostly forward, not much room going back, because of the trigger housing, then mill a small notch, & polish feed ramp...it requires a little gunsmithing, and metal work, use all available space. I usually modify the bolt stop, but don't remember if I did on the model 7 ...Feeds great. Adjusted the Remington trigger to 2 lbs.
Use whatever action ya like, or are comfortable with...I had a model 7 in a caliber I like, so I improved upon it, at no cost but my time. I am a retired machinist with precision metal lathes and a Bridgeport mill...so it's a little easier for me. Most every rifle I own has some sort of personal modification done. The 4.020" cartridges for the Rem 300 RUM action, which was a little more involved, you really should have a milling machine for milling the rear bridge, with a sharp carbide endmill, with the action indicated in to follow orginial factory lines, and radius. It makes a big difference in its performance with 250 Atips, 2985 fps from a 26" barrel. If ya want more performance, better functionality, or beauty,
modify it to your tastes.

I can get 3 down in the mag and one in the chamber in 350 mag but the 300 WSM has a slightly larger dia body at .555" vs .532" for the belt. That could be fixed with a .060 Spacer.
I modified the magazine, by reforming it, thinning metal front and back and extending it mostly forward, not much room going back, because of the trigger housing, then mill a small notch, & polish feed ramp...it requires a little gunsmithing, and metal work, use all available space. I usually modify the bolt stop, but don't remember if I did on the model 7 ...Feeds great. Adjusted the Remington trigger to 2 lbs.
Use whatever action ya like, or are comfortable with...I had a model 7 in a caliber I like, so I improved upon it, at no cost but my time. I am a retired machinist with precision metal lathes and a Bridgeport mill...so it's a little easier for me. Most every rifle I own has some sort of personal modification done. The 4.020" cartridges for the Rem 300 RUM action, which was a little more involved, you really should have a milling machine for milling the rear bridge, with a sharp carbide endmill, with the action indicated in to follow orginial factory lines, and radius. It makes a big difference in its performance with 250 Atips, 2985 fps from a 26" barrel. If ya want more performance, better functionality, or beauty,
modify it to your tastes.
Thank you for the information! I'll be having a gunsmith chamber the new barrel etc. so will try get some work done to the magazine box to improve the COAL.

Thanks for the thoughts gents.

Currently my Tikka 7mm rem mag is 6.8lb ready to hunt with bolt and sling (T3X superlite, 24" factory barrel, wildcat composites stock, Talley rings and Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40), so I'm after a similar weight goal.

I regularly hunt with a 20" barrelled model 7 in 7mm-08 and that is the ideal size for getting though thick country where I hunt. So that's the aim with the wsm also.

The only reservations I have with using the Tikka is that I would have to;
A- Use factory Tikka WSM magazines for reliable feeding, which also limit COAL.

B- Use the mountain tactical magazines (or others). That rifle already has a mountain tactical bottom metal on it, too. but I don't like how their magazines hang down and are not flush like the factory mags.

The projectiles I'll likely be trying to use will be 180gr Accubonds / bondstrikes etc. and also a 165gr / 168gr TTSX etc. that should cover me for most hunting scenarios.

If I don't end up using the 7SAUM model 7 for a build, I'll either keep it as is, sell it, or barrel it to 350 rem mag or something weird.

The Kimber platform is interesting to me as it has the CRF, which would help with feeding reliability of the WSM cartridge? I've yet to own a model 70 / kimber etc.
You already have the gun you need. You will not be able to top your 7 mag at sub 7 lbs ready to hunt.

re barrel the Rem into another 7RM with 20-22" carbon barrel and 8 twist. Run the bullets long and still get 3000FPS with ease. Now you don't need anything that you don't already have.

I was hoping for a dual load (165gr TTSX and 180gr Accubond, or similar) to use in this rifle. Do you think they won't work loaded for mag length in the model 7?
I've barely even shot the Remington. I bought brass and dies and made up 20 rounds just to sight it in and get ready for some load development, but it owes me little time. I've got a 7mm-08 and 7mm rem mag, so the SAUM I picked up as an impulse buy as they are getting pretty hard to find and I'll end up using it for something haha
Any 30 Cal bullet will work in the model 7 300wsm, its just how much case capacity are you willing to sacrifice when you seat that bullet into the cartridge at a COAL of 2.850'', getting a Wyatt's length (2.990-3.010")mag in a model 7 is not fun. A dual load in a gun is not a fun endeavor especially if your POI is not directly in line vertically. You need to settle on what you want your gun to do and build it for that purpose, don't expect one gun to do it all without it sacrificing in certain categories.

Any 30 Cal bullet will work in the model 7 300wsm, its just how much case capacity are you willing to sacrifice when you seat that bullet into the cartridge at a COAL of 2.850'', getting a Wyatt's length (2.990-3.010")mag in a model 7 is not fun. A dual load in a gun is not a fun endeavor especially if your POI is not directly in line vertically. You need to settle on what you want your gun to do and build it for that purpose, don't expect one gun to do it all without it sacrificing in certain categories.
I run Leupolds with CDS, so I find it pretty easy to swap the turret caps over and just do a quick re-zero when I wish to switch to a different projectile when required.

I fully understand the loss of case capacity, and then the loss in velocity with the 20"-22" barrel option of this rig.
Being easy to manoeuvre and packable on long hikes in tight country is what I'm after.

Being that I almost never shoot beyond 500yrd I don't need to be ringing 3000fps out of a 180gr projectile to put down game.
I'm looking for something that is able to sort of "do most" things and I can just think about taking the one rifle on a trip vs being under / over gunned for my intended quarry.