Need some help on choosing light weight stock please

Rugerdiggs

I have a short action Remington at the shop now to have a custom 300wsm made. It will have a bartlein #3 contour fluted barrel. I am in need of a light weight but rigid stock to shoot off of bipods, shooting sticks, backpack, closest tree limb, or? without being to weak and affecting poi. I am planning an elk hunt and wanting something I can pack around and it don't kill me so lightweight is a must. Been looking at the McMillan game scout, Bell and Carlson Alaskan, HS Ultra Light Mountain Ranger, and the Manners MCS SL Super Light Hunter. In hopes someone has some of these and will let me know how they like it or don't like it. Thanks

I have a McMillan A3 with Edge fill, and am currently waiting on another McMillan Game Scout with Edge fill. Overall I love McMillan stocks, and if you want to go ultra lightweight, you need the edge fill, or go with the Manners stocks that fall within the same 25 - 28 oz range.

I have a bell and carlson medalist (basically same as alaskan) with the aluminum bedding block and I am very happy with it. fit, feel, grip, performance. top notch. but it is not as light as the mcmillan or manners ultralights. But they are also more affordable and easier to purchase on various websites.

The nice thing about McMillan is you are custom ordering your stock. length of pull, color, sling studs, etc. I am very tall with big hands, so I love the tactical/pistol grip of the A-series. Although for hunting, where you mention shooting off trees, real hunting positions, the A3 forearm is just a little blocky for me (preference). That's why my McMillan on order is the Game Scout.... tactical grip with a more classic rounded hunting style forearm. Best of both worlds.

I looked real hard at Manners, and I really like the style of their stocks, but they do not offer a length of pull beyond 13.5" without upgrading to their very heavy spacer kit. For me that was not an option, but for a standard length of pull or shorter, I think their stocks designs are very good.

I have owned a couple HS precision stocks in the past, both with the aluminum bedding blocks, and overall great stocks. But I have two complaints. First, their aluminum bedding blocks add weight just like the bell and carlson. Maybe their new ultralights are similar to mcmillan/manners? Don't know about that. My second complaint is that in rainy/snowy conditions with gloves on, the HS finish felt a bit slippery to me when I was hunting with it. It wasn't awful, but it was not on par with my B&C medalist, or my McMillan. And maybe HS has changed their finish since I've had mine, I do think they make nice stocks.

From an accuracy standpoint, a good skim bedding job will get any of these stocks shooting your gun very accurately. It just comes down to how much money you want to spend in order to save weight. For all around versatility the B&C stocks are hard to beat for the price.

I have a high-tech on a 300 rum. 27 inch #2 contour barrel including brake, weighs little under 7 lbs. Seems to be a nice stock. Am just in the break in stage with rifle. Also have the McMillan game scout on a 300 win mag 28 inch sendero contour bench mark barrel including brake. Have to admit I really like the feel of this stock. Haven't used either rifle in the real world hunting situation as of yet.

I have a HS Precision Sporter stock that weighs about 2.5 lbs. I like the fit and finish, does fine for me as a hunting rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.