Help Light Weight .300WSM

I have a savage in 300 wsm I restocked it with a B C Stock
and had a muzzle brake installed. I put a vx 3 with the Boon and crocket retitle in it.
the gun shoots great out to 500 yards(thats the limit on the reticle)
I would not do another WSM I can only get two rounds in the mag
If I was going to do another light gun I would do a remington CDL

Is the Sako A7 the same action as the Finnlight, just a different (cheaper) stock? I looked at the Win 70 extreme weather. It looks real nice and Mod 70 like Rem 700 have plenty custom after market options... Stocks, gunsmiths, parts

No the action is very similar to the T3 action. Has a floated hammer forged barrel, all sako/tikka actions are known for accuracy. I know the two I have are quality rifles. IMHO they are the best bang for the buck rifles made.
http://www.sakoa7.net FYI!

I think light weapon and the 300wsm are not compatible. I wore out my savage factory stock in 1.5 years from the recoil, maybe 100-120 rounds. She is bedded in a B&C medalist with full aluminum, now. But to plan to make the gun a 6-6.5# platform for mountain hunting seems too light. She is going to kick like a mule and you would be lucky to see what your shot did through any scope. Follow up would be poor at best. 300wsm is flat and carries power, but is it necessary for this type of hunt?

I have one in a Rem. 700 CDL.It has the 26" barrel.For me it seems light enough.If you want to go lighter,the Rem. Mod 7 has a 22" barrel.Don's Hobby Guns has one listed for $629.I've bought a couple of rifles from him and he's been good to deal with and has some great prices on guns.Check him out on the web,it could save you hundreds or cost you hundreds if you're tempted:D.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. I have packed a 325wsm, abolt 7-6 oz. for last 5 yrs. Shoot 200 ab's, spotted my own hits on game and rocks 500-700 range many times. First spring I had a 340 no brake I SHOT CLOSE TO 400 YRDS threw it getting used to it no brake. Shooting the 325 is like shooting a pea shooter after that.Comparing a Lonewolf stock to a b&c is like comparing a apple to a orange. Hold one in each hand and look at them side by side, half hollow plastic and some alum. versus kevlar and glass. I broke a Weatherby stock horse hunting and I THINK a Lone wolf would be really hard to break. I have seen many light 300wsm builds because that is a good sized action for that type of thing.

I would build a 300 wsm on Rem SA wsm boltface .. but I am too worried about feeding problems. oh well..lol

you might check this guy out. His prices on his available rifles page are really surprising for custom. I'm going to try one I think in 7WSM

Accurate Custom Hunting Rifles by Quarter Minute Magnums

this guy is based in my town and i have talked to him to a little and it seems he is very stuck in his ways. if you want to have any sort of a variation in a rifle he will tell you how wrong you are and that his way is the only way.

Back to the main subject of the LIGHT WEIGHT .300 WSM...

I myself have got tired of packing my 12.5 lb long range rig up and down the canyons and trying to hunt the brush with it. I love this gun but it is sometimes nice to have a different option depending on what your doing that day and where you are going.

So after looking around and watching Gunbroker I found a Browning A bolt Mountain Titanium for $950 with only 23 rnds thru it and a limbsaver pad and an extra magazine. So i got this setup with the idea of wanting to shoot factory rnds if i wanted or some easy reloads. I bedded the B&C stock with marine tex and then had my gsmith do a trigger job to 2# and install a muzzle brake. (it kicked like a mule without it). Had the stock camo dipped into a red based realtree hardwoods pattern. Used a DNZ one piece aluminum scope base and ring setup (very light and made out of hard 6061 Al). topped with a Leup VX-II 3-9x40 (thats what I had laying around at the time, will do a Leup VX-III 4.5-14x40 with CDS dial soon). I bought some Win Powerpoints to just quick sight in and then shot a 4 shot 5/8" at 100 yds. Then tried some HSM ammo with 168 gr Berger hunting VLD and shot a 3/8'' 4 shot group. I like hunting with Bergers, they kill well. I've been quite impressed with this thing and I don't have much into really. The recoil is something that one has to figure out on your own; muzzle brakes kill the ear drums or w/o- scope eyepieces cut your brow and sure make for a slower follow up.

I don't have a exact weight on this set up with scope and all but i will get a fish scale and post the weight and maybe a pic. My guess is about 6 lb 10 oz. but let me reassure that.

That rifle being a tit. starts out almost a pound lighter than my 325 wsm ss. I got mine as a job perk, put on the 4-14x40, and trigger job. It shoots also.mine 7-60z w/sling and scope

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.