Need some help-Light primer strikes

Shaidon

I just had my .338 edge built on a stiller predator action, RC barrel, timney trigger, and hs stock. The problem I am having is I get about 5-6 round per 20-30 rounds fired that do not fire. There is a strike mark on the primer, just not enough to set it off. Even if I try to fire one 2 more times, it still doesnt fire. I have ruled out the brass since I reloaded some of the ones that didn't fire the first time and some of them fired the second time. Just brought it into the gunsmith and the headspace is fine. We also tried out a different firing pin spring just incase it was bad for some reason and it didn't make any difference. Has anyone had the same problem at all? The smith said it could be the trigger sear not getting all the way out of the way or possibly bolt timing. He is going thru the rifle but I hope Im not the only one who has had this problem...

1) How are you priming the cases? If you aren't fully seating the primers, it can cause this problem.
2) Have you used the same batch of primers in another rifle with no problems?
3) How do the primer strikes that work look?
4) Has it happened at all with brass that has already been fired in the rifle? New brass will necessarily have greater headspace than once fired, some of the firing pin force can get 'used up' in moving the brass forward a couple thousandths. If it hasn't happened with brass that has already been fired, then this is a likely candidate.

Along with the things you mentioned, your gunsmith should check how much the firing pin protrudes, if it is a bit short, the same thing can happen.

AJ

I use a hand primer the majority of the time but after the first few cases that didn't work, I began to use the press after the hand primer to make sure they are seated. I have kinda ruled out the primers just for the fact that the primers in the rounds that fired are still real light, not nearly as much impression as my other rifles. There is .003" of case stretch between the virgin brass and the fired brass so that rules out a headspace issue, plus the smith re-checked the headspaced with a go gauge. I am more concerned that there is an issue with the clearance between the trigger and the firing pin, maybe its keeping pressure on it and losing some momentum. OR the bolt being out of timing. Are either of those two possible or likely?

Both of those things can mess up the firing pin strength.

How do the primer strikes look on brass that has been fired a couple times? Does it still happen with non-new brass.

Just because your rifle's headspace is OK, doesn't mean some of your new brass isn't real short, causing them to absorb some of the strike. This is something that is seen sometimes when fireforming cases for a wildcat.

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.