6.5x284 guys need some help

fatjake

I need a favor

I'm having a rifle built and my gunsmith requested that I get a piece of fired brass and run it through my die so he can set the headspace to that.

If anyone could do me a solid favor and send me one piece of 6.5x284 Lapua brass that has been fired and not resized I can either pay you for it or down the road I will pay it forward

Thanks in advance

Jake Williams

I'm not a gunsmith but I believe the body dimensions of fired brass is too big to use as a reliable HS gage. Not to mention brass is too soft to be used in that capacity!

He ,however, is a gunsmith and should have a HS gage to do the work correctly.

Tbrice23
Many well regarded gunsmiths set headspace like this.
But I'm not going to argue with you

Tbrice23
Many well regarded gunsmiths set headspace like this.
But I'm not going to argue with you
The only chambers I've ever known of to be set this way are specific BR chambers (used only in sanctioned BR matches). Brass from the same lot/box is used, not brass fired in another chamber or possibly from a different lot. Have it set to the "GO" gauge, you'll have fewer problems in the long run. If you "gunsmith" doesn't have at least a "GO" gauge, find one who does!

Last edited:
Using brass to set headspace might work out OK and it might not. Using a precision ground steel go gauge will always work - assuming of course that the gunsmith has some level of competency. I have go and no-go gauges for most of my dozen or so rifles. I have seen brand new factory rifles that would allow the bolt to close on a no-go gauge so they can be handy to have. This is more about having minimum brass expansion on firing and thus less trauma to the brass than it is about safety but.... I recommend that you buy yourself a set of gauges (Midway USA sells them or you can buy direct from Pacific Tool and Gauge) and lend them to your smith.

Should ask your smith what happens if you change dies later or decide to shoot some factory ammo.

Headspacing to the die is not the best idea. What, if for some reason, your die is not set to the perfect bump, when you size the brass and give it to him?

The rifle should be headspaced with a headspace gauge and you then adjust the die to work with the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.