Let’s talk favorite hunting rigs!

1A7C2515-C3BE-4D26-BDAA-541232BEE24E.jpeg
E040A4CD-04A5-4EE2-B5D2-FB5CB820A0A8.jpeg
I have 2 hunting rigs I enjoy. 1 is light for the big pack days (8.5 lbs) and the other is 12.5 and been my go to. I hunt most big game with a bow, rifle is for wolf hunting.

6.5 creedmoor and 6.5-284. I have a new build in 6.5 prc that designed to be a compact chassis. It is possible it will be my favorite but right now that lightweight 6.5 creed for chasing wolves is really hard to pass up.

Last edited:
These seem to always make the hit list...

Harris Talon 257 Weatherby--Swarovski 4x12 Z3 BT
TC encore 6.5 Grendel-- Leupold VX3 LR 4.5x14
Custom AR-15 6.5 Grendel--Flir thermal
7SAUM--manners/mesa Ti SA/ proof 22 in barrel/Swarovski Z5 3.5x18 (headed across the pond--this tends to be my mountain rifle--doing Kergz for ibex)
22 creedmoor manners/bighorn/proof 20 in/4.5x18 Bushnell LRHS..
338 RCM/ Ruger Hawkeye 20 in barrel/Leupold LRP 4.5x14...

These usually make it out once to twice a year in a good year,

I need to take some good pic's...I don't hardly have any good shots of my rifles...I have a ton a game shots..but not many with my rifles too..

Last edited:
I'd like to get to the place where I had a rifle for each purpose. Only having 2 centerfires, I chose rifles and calibers that were very versatile. I dont see any new builds in the bear future unfortunately. I'd like to get my herd up to 4 centerfires. That would cover whatever I'd need to do.
I have 4 centerfires that I hunt with in general: 223, 243, 270 and 7mmRM- 2x Remingtons ( a 700 and a 600), a Weatherby Vanguard and a Model 70 African, in the same order, all with Leupold Glass. All are factory end to end except some minor touch ups, tuning and bedding.
I have quite a few other rifles of various makes but these are my #1 go tos. Of my various others, I have specialty rifles used for only one type of hunting, or shooting. Every rifle I own shoots very well and I have handloads for each of them. I have guns passed down from family, most of which are locked away in vaults.
I have a daughter and a son who are both arguing about which of the four guns, previously mentioned, each wants. The arguements are mostly about the 270 and the 7mm. Both kids have shot and love those two guns. They fuss about some of the family guns as well but not as strenuously. I guess I'll have to settle it all in my will so they will be mad at me, not each other, after I go to the happy hunting grounds. Not any time soon!
I love shooting all kinds of guns and have done so for over 50 years.
It's hard to pass over those guns you have put hundreds or thousands of rounds through. Those are guns you don't really have to think about aiming, you just throw the rifle up and reflex takes over and a clean shot is made without any conscious lead or aiming.

To me the same is true with any type of weapon. I have favorite bows, muzzle loaders, pistols and for that matter, fishing rods.

It is all about what each of us thinks makes a rifle a favorite. I have listed mine and told all why I think so.

Keep on makin favorites!

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190714210603499.jpg
Here is another option if wood isn't your style.

This is a loaner stock from my gunsmith. I ordered one for my Surgeon, but I wanted to try one out first.

It's lighter than any stock I have used. It's 100% carbon fiber and is lighter than anything I have used.

Just for reference, without the big honking bipod, the rifle and scope weigh 11 pounds 14 ozs. That's not a bad package for an unfluted Remington Varmint Contour barrel at 22 inches. Without the scope, the bare rifle weight is roughly 9 pounds 9 ozs.

View attachment 141547 Here is another option if wood isn't your style.

This is a loaner stock from my gunsmith. I ordered one for my Surgeon, but I wanted to try one out first.

It's lighter than any stock I have used. It's 100% carbon fiber and is lighter than anything I have used.

Just for reference, without the big honking bipod, the rifle and scope weigh 11 pounds 14 ozs. That's not a bad package for an unfluted Remington Varmint Contour barrel at 22 inches. Without the scope, the bare rifle weight is roughly 9 pounds 9 ozs.
Who makes that stock?

I shot a bunch of deer with my 257wby then I got shooting coyotes with it and mucking around with varmint bullet, didn't take long to toast the barrel.
But a couple years ago when I spotted this deer before hunting season I was packing my 308 cause I just had a little more confidence in it. 700 Milspec with mark 4 6.5-20
57D96049-DE33-49CB-AC0A-03031C2B1CFC.jpeg

But since buying a Sako a7 in 6.5cm with a lrp 6.5-20 and impact reticle. The 308 has become my match gun and the 6.5 is the one I grab to go deer and coyote hunting
D99EF0F7-4B4A-4989-9798-B7F67748B4CA.jpeg

But with a new 7mm proof barrel spun on my old 257 gonna be hard to take others hunting now lol

I shot a bunch of deer with my 257wby then I got shooting coyotes with it and mucking around with varmint bullet, didn't take long to toast the barrel.
But a couple years ago when I spotted this deer before hunting season I was packing my 308 cause I just had a little more confidence in it. 700 Milspec with mark 4 6.5-20
View attachment 141558
But since buying a Sako a7 in 6.5cm with a lrp 6.5-20 and impact reticle. The 308 has become my match gun and the 6.5 is the one I grab to go deer and coyote hunting
View attachment 141559
But with a new 7mm proof barrel spun on my old 257 gonna be hard to take others hunting now lol
It's hard to get away from the 7mm once you've started hunting with it.

I love my Gap-10! Easily the best rifle I own. Constant 1/3 moa with the 143's. It's not a power house like some some of my other rifles but it's definitely the scalpel to my hammer. While not anymore accurate it's more forgiving on odd shot angles/positions

Who makes that stock?

Its by a small company called All Composites. I think they were making carbon fiber race car parts before they started making stocks.

The stock is a little expensive ($2000-$2500) which is probably rich for a lot of people's blood. But it doesn't require bedding, and weighs a pound and a half. I think they are also on sale right now.

I ordered one because I like experimenting with things.

I did some napkin math, and I think I calculated that I could have a rifle that weighs 10 pounds with the scope mounted while still using a 28 inch light Palma countour barrel. Or I can use a Medium Palma barrel and still be below 12 pounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.