Let’s talk favorite hunting rigs!

F5DC9D86-083F-4CB0-BE10-8A17860D2DCE.jpeg

Lower 48 Hunting rig
7 RBH. Sons rig in front mine in back

3719A524-0771-4028-A76E-1DFCD50E0481.jpeg

Alaska hunting/guide rifle
375 RBH

Nothing really special, except to me. It's a Weatherby Ultralightweight that started out as a .280 Remington that would not shoot worth a darn. I took a Hart .243 stainless match barrel that had been shot out by a prominent NRA hi-power competitor and had it re-bored and reincarnated as a 6.5x284. 25" long with the same taper as the factory tube. Original Sigthtron 4x-16X scope in S&K mounts. Out the door loaded, with sling, it weighs 7.75 pounds. All it's ever done is kill everything the crosshairs have rested on when the trigger broke. Has a love affair with 125-grain Partitions.

969A0B4D-3B6E-457E-9A4A-D97D5E42A7F3.jpeg 49B5BEE4-B4DA-4E7C-AD74-60CB09FBB83B.jpeg It's hard to say if I have a favorite. I love all my hunting rigs. Sometimes it's hard to pick which one gets to go hunting. All but one of my 7 rifles is a factory rifle. I've rebarrelled 2, so they're kinda semi custom. I've upgraded stocks and tiggers on just about every one. I reload for everyone, too. They all shoot 0.5 moa or better. I do have an affinity for my first big game rifle. A Savage 110 chambered in 30-06. It's been a tack driver since day one. It loves everything you feed it. A new stock and custom load development made it even better.
My current favorite is pictured below. It just got a new barrel. A Savage 116 chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. 28" Krieger barrel with 1:8 twist.

Kimber MT 325 WSM

It's light, handy and packs a punch. It wears a VX1 3-9x40 that I've been thinking about upgrading to a Swaro small objective Z3.

200gr Partitions and Accubonds. Both work well. Solid gun out to 400. Never tried anything further with it.

This is one of my favorites. It's my stalking rifle.

American Rifle Company Nucleus

Lilja 3 Groove Remington Varmint Contour Barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Taylor Precision Engineering M40 Walnut stock dyed military red, finished with traditional oil finish. He also glued and screwed an Anschutz style rail into the bottom so that I can use a 1.5 inch dovetail plate to direct connect to a tripod.

All of the work is done by Steven Clake in Fairbanks AK.

Attachments

• IMG_20190704_165802.jpg
    IMG_20190704_165802.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20190704_165721.jpg
    IMG_20190704_165721.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 140
View attachment 141410 View attachment 141411 It's hard to say if I have a favorite. I love all my hunting rigs. Sometimes it's hard to pick which one gets to go hunting. All but one of my 7 rifles is a factory rifle. I've rebarrelled 2, so they're kinda semi custom. I've upgraded stocks and tiggers on just about every one. I reload for everyone, too. They all shoot 0.5 moa or better. I do have an affinity for my first big game rifle. A Savage 110 chambered in 30-06. It's been a tack driver since day one. It loves everything you feed it. A new stock and custom load development made it even better.
My current favorite is pictured below. It just got a new barrel. A Savage 116 chambered in 6.5-284 Norma. 28" Krieger barrel with 1:8 twist.
Looks great!

This is one of my favorites. It's my stalking rifle.

American Rifle Company Nucleus

Lilja 3 Groove Remington Varmint Contour Barrel chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Taylor Precision Engineering M40 Walnut stock dyed military red, finished with traditional oil finish. He also glued and screwed an Anschutz style rail into the bottom so that I can use a 1.5 inch dovetail plate to direct connect to a tripod.

All of the work is done by Steven Clake in Fairbanks AK.
That's absolutely fantastic. How much do you estimate it weighs as it sits?

Favorite hunting rigs? The one I have in my hand at that moment in time... Because I don't own inaccurate guns. :cool:

"Only accurate rifles are interesting." - Townsend Whelen
I would say that's probably true for most of the people here. Most people still have one rifle in particular that they favor more over the rest. Mine would be my 6.5 if I could carry that heavy pig all day through the NH mountains.

The favorite all time was a Remington 700 Classic in 300 Weatherby. It was the first real hunting rig I ever bought. Topped with a Leupold Vari-XII 4-12x40AO with the fine duplex reticle. Tuned trigger to a touch over 2 pounds and added a brake. That rifle killed everything from chipmunks to elk. Scores of deer from the George Washington national forest in VA, prairie dogs and deer in SD, elk in Idaho, and deer and bears in MN. It has had somewhere between 5 and 7 thousand rounds down the tube and is kind of just a mantle piece now. It's kind of like that first great duck dog you ever have, there will never be another that can quite fill the shoes as well.

Now we are taking, this is a hunting site right? I love my Brownings, depends on what I an hunting as to which one. Ill grab the 308 AB3 super accurate. Nothing has yet to survive, in fact they just drop dead. pics show lot of Leupold optics, mine too

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.