Let’s talk favorite hunting rigs!

For the last three and a half years I have hunted primarily with a browning X bolt Western Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor.
It has Talley rings, a VX6 3-18x50, a lighter trigger spring and I added a cheek piece.
I'd say that the rifle has less than 75 rounds through it and has been well hunted. Some say it looks abused.;)
Today, I shot a slow and steady three shot group with the same Precision Hunter series ammo I've run since it became available.
It seems as if factory offerings in both rifles and ammo are getting nothing but better.
Although I have several custom rifles, I always seem to grab that X Bolt when it's time to go.
View attachment 141338 View attachment 141339

Yeah, I adjusted my zero!

When you measure you go from center of one hole to the center of the farthest hole. It looks like you actually shot about a quarter inch group. Nice shooting!

300 rum, 700 action trued with a 3 land Lilja 30 inch bbl and a slightly modified Holland radical brake. Jewell trigger. Topped off with a 8x32 1/8 min Night Force. Sendero style stock keeps it together. With the 210 vld it crumples game. Ave take is mid 700's with 980 longest to date.

Attachments

• IMG_20190714_180355.jpg
    IMG_20190714_180355.jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 223
AMEN! If it just don't "shoot", I'l take it apart and make it shoot or just sell it!
I won't sell one...Just rebuild. Bought and registered actions are already bought and registered... Might as well keep them. And since AL is a face-to-face transfer state without the need for an FFL transfer, your legally-purchased (non-government tracked) actions are always worth holding onto and continuously rebuilding. Just always buy from legitimate people, and not from guys who look like they run a meth lab, or are on their way to buy more meth. Haha

Not particularly for hunting... I have one for each purpose, so they all serve a specific function, so I see them as "Today I'm hunting _____, at _____ to _____ distance, so I need _____ rifle." Kind of boring, but it's a very straight-forward dynamic and it's served me well for many years. Sometimes I'll use different ones for different things, just because their abilities overlap, but when it comes to shooting at living things, I try to go with humane and function over favoritism.

For range shooting, my 5R .308 Win is my favorite rig. Light recoil, excellent barrel life, surgically accurate, consistent, etc... etc...
You ain't kidding. No one ever says they burned up a 308 hunter. No one.

My newest addition, and I love it, is a Tikka T3x in .300 WM, and a Vortex HSLR 6-24-50.
Fast handling, easy to carry and accurate.
I took it on a spring Bear Hunt this year and found it a pleasure to carry.
I can't wait for fall elk season.

Attachments

• C7A5B0B2-D6C7-41B4-8046-E252CEA12998.jpeg
    C7A5B0B2-D6C7-41B4-8046-E252CEA12998.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 218
I won't sell one...Just rebuild. Bought and registered actions are already bought and registered... Might as well keep them. And since AL is a face-to-face transfer state without the need for an FFL transfer, your legally-purchased (non-government tracked) actions are always worth holding onto and continuously rebuilding. Just always buy from legitimate people, and not from guys who look like they run a meth lab, or are on their way to buy more meth. Haha
The fix is in!
cigarette smoking man.jpg

I'm hoping this will be my new favorite- as a southpaw I'm finally getting around to getting LH hunting rifles. I'm in Texas and I think this is about as good as it gets for any critter here.

Trued Rem 700 LH, bolt fluted+skeletonized, Timney trigger, 26" Bartlein 3B straight fluted, McM Classic (edge fill), Talleys, Swaro Z5 5-25 BT, 4w-- just over 8lbs total

115gr Bergers @ 3400fps

Hopefully its the 6.5-06 I'm putting together right now. Remington action, PTG bolt, Proof sender light, and McMillan gamewarden edge fill

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts