Let’s talk brass

OG-danimal

I'm about to start a load work up with a 'new to me' Kimber Montana 300wsm. I have some old fired Winchester brass that I was going to use, but debating on if I should just start new with ADG brass… I'll be shooting 154 hammer HHTs, hoping to get 3300 fps. Hunting elk out to 500 yards. What do you all think? What am I sacrificing by shooting Winchester brass, all other things equal?

Cheers

Personally if I had enough Win brass to do what I want that is what I would use. If I did not then would start with new brass and use what I can get. If it is premium great if not may need to do come culling prep depending how anal you are but will do fine

Lou

I worked with Winchester brass on my 300wsm for a target riffle. Primer pockets are tough AF. You have to anneal them because the necks were cracking after 5 firings. Also you'll need to sort through them and neck turn them.The brass isn't the greatest for consistency. If you are only hunting it will be good to go. I found nickel plated feeds better in the wsm because they are slippery.

I have a bunch old but unfired WW brass (500 pieces of .375 H&H) that I bought new in the early '90's.

I keep hearing all of the bad stuff about WW brass, but, knock on wood, my old brass has been great. Getting 10 firings, with no annealing, before I toss them.

Perhaps it's true……"they just don't make things the way they used to"! 😉 memtb

I have a bunch old but unfired WW brass (500 pieces of .375 H&H) that I bought new in the early '90's.

I keep hearing all of the bad stuff about WW brass, but, knock on wood, my old brass has been great. Getting 10 firings, with no annealing, before I toss them.

Perhaps it's true……"they just don't make things the way they used to"! 😉 memtb
What you talkin bout? I used and use the hello out of WW brass in several 300WSM with no issue at all. I work hard to convince people to use brass that costs 3-4 times as much as the WW. OP....I suggest you have to spend more money on your brass. The only way they can charge more is because it is better, so you might as well just spend once and cry for a month once. Then you know you have the best brass.

Then the next question is should I buy ADG, Norma, or wait and see if I can get my hands on some Lapua this spring…

I've used nickel W-W brass in my current rifle with good results. I picked up some once fired brass shot in another rifle and had issues with that batch. Unsized brass wouldn't chamber in my rifle. I knew better than to use them, but gave them a try with as hard as it was to find brass. If the brass was shot in your rifle, load up 3-4 cases and see how they behave

Then the next question is should I buy ADG, Norma, or wait and see if I can get my hands on some Lapua this spring…
Why complicate it unnecessarily? Regardless of what brass, "I" do not finalize load development until it is at least entirely fire-formed from the rifle's chamber once. As far as the WW, I have two .300 WMs and use the WW brass without any issues.

What are your expectations for this rifle? A light kimber montana is not the easiest rifle to shoot tiny groups with. If you are hunting under 500ish yards winchester is fine. Prep them well and sorting will get some decent consistency.
I have run adg, norma and bertram brass. Norma was good but needed sorting for capacity, ADG is very good and doesn't need turning/sorting judging by the stuff I have. Bertram - I would use winchester before buying bertram again.