Least effective brake

I've had most of the top rated brakes over the years and they live up to their hype. Lately I've been buying Delta Brakes made by Live Oak Accuracy.

They are very effective at reducing recoil but also in my opinion pretty quiet compared to most of the popular brakes like fat bastard, area 419 hellfire, MBM etc.

Ear protection should be de rigueur every time a gun is fired. Even a .22LR can produce damge when used longterm without protection. Even non-braked CF rifles can do damage in just a few unprotected shots and hearing loss is non-reversible; you won't get it back. I double up when shooting a CF at the range, and use muffs when hunting.

I've run the Vais and the MBM beast brakes. There is significantly more loudness and concussion on the MBM Beast than the Vais. But the MBM Beast does reduce recoil better. I actually ended up sticking with the Vais, because I couldn't handle the beating of the concussion on the Beast.

Last edited:
I am not a brake fan, but considering one on my next build. I want some of the advantages without the deafening shockwave as I'm not very likely to earplug, though I'll try. I want the majority of the blast to go about 35-60*, 0* being the bore. What are some things to consider?
Look at Witt machine, they make a brake with a shroud on it, haven't tried it but it looks like it should work.

I am not a brake fan, but considering one on my next build. I want some of the advantages without the deafening shockwave as I'm not very likely to earplug, though I'll try. I want the majority of the blast to go about 35-60*, 0* being the bore. What are some things to consider?
Witt Machine makes a brake SME sound mitigation equipment that has a cover similar to a suppressor which forces the sound forward away from the shooter. I have them on three of my hunting rifles.

You'll want a brake with the first port being 90⁰ to direct the blast to the side, then the remaining ports can be angled back to assist in recoil reduction. I tried an all 90⁰ brake on my 300 RUM, and all it seemed to do was make it louder. I'm very happy with the T-Rex brake from LRCustomsinc.com. It tamed the recoil and isn't to bad on ears for one or two shots when hunting. Of course, I'm gonna be wearing ears if I'm on the bench sighting in!