Small, accurate and effective muzzle brake for a 338 Lapua?

It was the JP Howitzer brake.....it was effective, but I wouldn't use one for anything but a fishing weight, personally. I have "slab" style brakes on some of my semi auto rifles , and with hearing protection, work great....rsbhunter

I definitely wouldn't shoot it without plugs and muffs.....I can't imagine being within 50 yards of either side of it without good quality (26 db or better) hearing protection.....Alot of the guys at the club range have a favorite saying, it's "WHAT"...... Save you're hearing.........rsbhunter

Ross Muzzle Brakes
Below is on my .30 Gibbs; I gave Ross my barrel dimensions, and he tapered it to my barrel - it is the last MB I purchased from him before selling his business to Kelly. Kelly now has self-timing MBs, too, for a very reasonable price. https://rossbrakes.com/

.30 Gibbs with Ross Schuler 4-port brake 3 of 3.jpg

Below is on my .30 Gibbs; I gave Ross my barrel dimensions, and he tapered it to my barrel - it is the last MB I purchased from him before selling his business to Kelly. Kelly now has self-timing MBs, too, for a very reasonable price. https://rossbrakes.com/

View attachment 379726
My lapua came with a factory installed radial brake. In fact all of my rifles have radial brakes and for "prone shooting" the come with the typical dust. If I were to get any new brakes, it would be like this one here. I like the fact that there are no down pointing ports.

I definitely wouldn't shoot it without plugs and muffs.....I can't imagine being within 50 yards of either side of it without good quality (26 db or better) hearing protection.....Alot of the guys at the club range have a favorite saying, it's "WHAT"...... Save you're hearing.........rsbhunter
I would not shoot them either, regardless of MB brand or design, but I am one of those who wear ear protection mowing, using my snow blower, or any other high-noise equipment.

I do not have any experience with the JP Howitzer MB, but a friend has them on his .300 RUM and is very pleased with it. He does not, however, hunt/shoot them in a blind. I have a JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MB on my .270 AI, and I like it. Below is a video of it propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2919 FPS while fireforming brass.

My lapua came with a factory installed radial brake. In fact all of my rifles have radial brakes and for "prone shooting" the come with the typical dust. If I were to get any new brakes, it would be like this one here. I like the fact that there are no down pointing ports.
IMHO, the Ross brake is not as effective as Nathan's MBM brakes but is very good for the money. Depending on the muzzle diameter, side port type MBs can be installed seamlessly with the barrel OD, just like what Kell has on his website.

1658064570694.png

Generally, small brakes are less effective. You can't have your cake and eat it too. But ....... you don't always need the MOST effective brake when a less effective brake will do and may be more esthetically pleasing. I have 2 VAIS brakes where I was more concerned with how the rifle looked than I was with recoil reduction.

On the big slammers I have Kirby's Pain Killer (PK) brakes and they really work well but are butt ugly like most other slab brakes.
Hey, butt ugly, come on now!! At least they work unlike the vias unless you like being covered with ground debris when you shoot prone, still have the noise and very little recoil reduction. But at least they are pretty!! 😉😁

Hey, butt ugly, come on now!! At least they work unlike the vias unless you like being covered with ground debris when you shoot prone, still have the noise and very little recoil reduction. But at least they are pretty!! 😉😁

Ahahahah Kirby - no offense intended. I just put another PK brake on my 30 Nosler which was "un-braked". The amount of recoil reduction was amazing. But ...... those old style Vais brakes are still in service on my more svelte rifles. LMAO 🤣