Muzzle brake for 338 Edge

JMUPT

I recently picked up a 338 edge and it doesn't have a brake on it. I'm thinking I would like to put a brake on it that is the same diameter as the muzzle, which is. 678". Is this possible? If so who makes a brake that will work. Most of the brakes I have found say they should only be turned down to roughly .8" I like the looks of a baffle style brakes, but just don't know if would be effective if they can be to the same diameter as the muzzle. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

I like my Harrels spiral but not sure you have enough meat left.

At that diameter nothing that is nice to shoot or that will be effective will blend in at the same diameter. The smallest I've installed that worked well and was effective was a Harrell baffle brake at .700 but I would not do that on an Edge!

At that diameter nothing that is nice to shoot or that will be effective will blend in at the same diameter. The smallest I've installed that worked well and was effective was a Harrell baffle brake at .700 but I would not do that on an Edge!
Something would be better than nothing. Even if it's not optimal. My 338/26-Nosler brake is not optimal but it's enough and far better than nothing.

My 1" Harrel's radial is very effective on the Edge but my barrel is much larger than the OP.

Something would be better than nothing. Even if it's not optimal. My 338/26-Nosler brake is not optimal but it's enough and far better than nothing.

My 1" Harrel's radial is very effective on the Edge but my barrel is much larger than the OP.
He wanted it turned to the same diameter as the barrel and at that thickness on a sporter contour you'll could have enough muzzle pressure to stretch then fail the brake at the baffle.

A Harrells left at diameter of .750 would work well, it will have a small step and it would function good, I can post a pick of a 338 with that set up if the OP needs. Personally I don't like the Harrells but they do function, I install a lot of Hollands tapered to match on Rem factory RUM's, could also post a pic if needed.

He wanted it turned to the same diameter as the barrel and at that thickness on a sporter contour you'll could have enough muzzle pressure to stretch then fail the brake at the baffle.

A Harrells left at diameter of .750 would work well, it will have a small step and it would function good, I can post a pick of a 338 with that set up if the OP needs. Personally I don't like the Harrells but they do function, I install a lot of Hollands tapered to match on Rem factory RUM's, could also post a pic if needed.
Harrells arrive pretty "rough". Hollands are much better finish.

If the end of the barrel is .6 or less, yup fogedaboudit. Go with a tapered. .75 major would work very nicely.

Bigngreen pics would be great. I didn't think that it was going to be possible todo a baffle style brake in that diameter. I just don't want a big knot on the end of my barrel. What would be an effective brake for the 338 edge and stay under .85". I was looking at the Csr or muscle brake. Would these be effective with the edge? Thanks for the help and any pictures you all can provide.

Bigngreen pics would be great. I didn't think that it was going to be possible todo a baffle style brake in that diameter. I just don't want a big knot on the end of my barrel. What would be an effective brake for the 338 edge and stay under .85". I was looking at the Csr or muscle brake. Would these be effective with the edge? Thanks for the help and any pictures you all can provide.

I have a Holland's QD MB tapered to .625" (IIRC) on my .300 Win Mag and am very pleased with it.

IIWY, I'd consider a slab MB from CSR (mini blast tamer brake) or Benchmark's tactical mini.

Good luck!

ADDED:

1024091042b.jpg

QUICKDISCHARGEBRAKE.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.