Pencil barrel 338 muzzle brake

JasonAL

I need some recommendations, opinions for a muzzle brake and thread options on a thin barreled 338 lapua. Rifle is a Sako M995
Barrel measures 0.620" at the muzzle at 26". I will have to have the barrel shortened to compensate for the length of the brake to be able to fit in my safe. So about 1.5" down the barrel measures 0.635".

I made a few adapters for friends' skinny barreled magnums. Threaded the muzzle 9/16x24. Internally threaded barrel drops to 9/16x24. Screw it to the threaded muzzle, turned down the stub while screwed to the muzzle. Threaded to what whatever muzzle devices they had. Left a shoulder to match the OD of the muzzle devices (provided I had drops fat enough) or just a shoulder equivalent to a sendero, or M40 muzzle end.

Doing the adapter in one setting with the stub threaded to the barrel ensured the adapter thread is coaxial to the dialed barrel bore. Adapter should be can ready and not worry about baffle strikes.

You will have a super thin wall between bore and thread with .338 bore and .5625 thread (9/16).

FYI though... I had a 300 win mag .650 muzzle o.d. threaded 9/16x24 with a pepper pot brake and it worked fine.

I have the same Sako M995 rifle in .338 Lapua. I also have a .338-378 Weatherby Accumark with a muzzle break. I had a local gunsmith thread the Sako to take the Weatherby brake, and it works fine. My thinking was that I only needed one of those rifles at a time and it is very simple to screw it on one or the other. Incidently, I have a 30-378 Weatherby as well, and the threads on that muzzle brake are the same. I could just screw the wrong brake on the barrel and have a serious situation on my hands. Not worried about me, but the potential exists if I pass the collection on someday. I have seen a shooter at the range I frequent blow up a .30 cal brake which was installed on a .338 Lapua. Brand new rifle first shot ( You wouldn't expect to get 2!!). Dangerous but he luckily got away with it.

Weatherby does this on their rifles every day with the 916-24 thread.
FYI, no need to cut down the barrel - just remove the brake to put the rifle back in the safe.
I usually swap the thread protector on for travel and storage even though my safe is more than tall enough for braked rifles.

This is what I use on my Henry Long Ranger 308 for suppressor. Ordered from Witt Machine. I thought threading the barrel would be to thin.

Attachments

• ADD7E1A2-8110-4873-9699-E0F32DD31139.jpeg
    ADD7E1A2-8110-4873-9699-E0F32DD31139.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
I need some recommendations, opinions for a muzzle brake and thread options on a thin barreled 338 lapua. Rifle is a Sako M995
Barrel measures 0.620" at the muzzle at 26". I will have to have the barrel shortened to compensate for the length of the brake to be able to fit in my safe. So about 1.5" down the barrel measures 0.635".
Buy a new safe, the 338 Lapua needs barrel length, just saying.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to get up with my local gunsmith whenever I get off 7/12's.
Definitely not getting a new safe as I already have two that are the same height. I have shotguns that have longer barrels but only a few.
I'm sure there are plenty of savage 338 lapua's out there with the factory 24" barrel. 24" shouldn't hurt velocity too much compared to the factory 26". I'm limited by a 12 twist rate also so probably 250gr lead would be the max.

Call Axisworks in Tempe AZ. He has done a couple pencil barrel .300 for me, and he is building his brakes in house and can thread and time it for you I would bet.

You could try Nathan at muzzlebrakesandmore.com he built me one for my Sako m995 in Lazzeroni Warbird. It worked fantastic.