Barrel Length With Muzzle Brake?

yukonal

I'm building 2 rifles, both with Vais muzzle brakes installed. A .284 WIN, and a 7MM Rem Mag.

1)What length should the barrels be finished at...BEFORE...installing the brakes?

2) What would be the right total length on each barrel with brake installed?

Thanks.

D) Insufficient information has been given, the questions cannot be answered.

Or

1) This length is equal to the total length of the barrel with muzzle brake, minus the distance from the crown to the end of the muzzle brake.

2) This length is equal to the length of the barrel unbraked, plus the additional length gained by adding the brake.

Or

Figure out what you want from each gun and decipher the barrel length you need to do it, this answers question 1. The answer to question 2 is as easy as 2+2=4

I.E. Say you want to kill elk at 1,000 yards and YOU want 1200lbs of energy to do so. You are going to shoot x bullet and it needs y velocity at the muzzle to produce said amount of energy at a grand.
Your barrel length before adding the brake will be the barrel length needed to get y, or greater.

D) Insufficient information has been given, the questions cannot be answered.

Or

1) This length is equal to the total length of the barrel with muzzle brake, minus the distance from the crown to the end of the muzzle brake.

2) This length is equal to the length of the barrel unbraked, plus the additional length gained by adding the brake.

Or

Figure out what you want from each gun and decipher the barrel length you need to do it, this answers question 1. The answer to question 2 is as easy as 2+2=4

I.E. Say you want to kill elk at 1,000 yards and YOU want 1200lbs of energy to do so. You are going to shoot x bullet and it needs y velocity at the muzzle to produce said amount of energy at a grand.
Your barrel length before adding the brake will be the barrel length needed to get y, or greater.

You really need to get a life.

It's as simple as...24-26" before the brake, on the 7 Mag, and 24" before the brake on the .284.

I was just hoping a couple guys who have installed brakes on these calibers would chime in and offer some advice.

If you are just looking for a generic answer, there are thousands of posts out there that apply, any answer within reason is just as correct as the next.

If you are looking for advice on your specific applications, then we need more details, plain and simple.
Don't ostracize me because I can't read your mind.

And I have experience with the 7, but that doesn't mean I can assume what I used it for applies to what you want to do.

But I may be misunderstanding what you are looking for... It has happened before, will happen again

I recently ordered a Hart barrel and spoke with one of their techs before ordering regarding barrel length. I provided some info and he asked a bunch more questions. Depends a lot on what you intend to do with it; fluting, contour, distance you plan to shoot out to, blah, blah, blah...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.