Muzzle brake with bull barrel outside diameter?

engineer40

Please humor me for a minute.

I have been putting together a rifle for mostly the fun factor... the theatrics... and not for hunting.

I've been on the search for the biggest, most ridiculous muzzle brake available. I do have a JP Enterprises Recoil Eliminator on a different rifle and like it very much. However, I think the Armalite AR-30A1 brake fits the bill nicely for what I'm trying to accomplish.
https://armalite.com/shop/ar-30a1-muzzle-brake-kit-300wm/

muzzle_brake.jpg

I plan on making this a heavy rifle with a full bull barrel. I emailed Armalite's support and asked them if this specific brake will work with a bull barrel with an OD of exactly 1 inch.

They responded with "The AR-30A1 rifle that brake normally goes on has a heavy barrel and it will most likely work but we cannot guarantee it."

I asked them if they happen to know the OD of that AR30-A1 rifle barrel.

They responded with "The outside diameter of the barrel is .688 inches".

Now, to me .688 inches is not a heavy barrel. If any of you actually have this rifle or brake, do you think he is correct in with the OD measurement?

I'm thinking if he is correct this brake may not be the one I can use. What are your guy's thoughts on that?

Also, any other suggestions to muzzle brakes that give the "Wow" factor? The reactions I'm hoping to get with this rifle are "What the heck is that? And can I try shooting it?"

I know, it's silly and serves no useful purpose... But sometimes the silly things without a purpose are the funnest ones to own.

Thanks!

Well, those muzzle brakes are a thread-on. So barrel diameter is irrelevant, as you will have to turn it down and thread it.

A "heavy barrel" is completely relative. If you are a typical city dwelling hipster, an AR may seem heavy. If you drag your knuckles when you walk, they are light. A local gent built a "heavy" 50 with a barrel O.D. of 2.25", guess he thought anything less would be light...

Well, since the brake screws on the front anyway, barrel OD is irrelavent. Just get the front og the barrel turned down to thread on and get it timed to be in the correct orientation. The brake is flat at the rear anyways.

Larry
Tinkerer

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.