Krieger Barrel with muzzle brake?

Epee

I did a search, and could not find any information about what you guys think about the Fox River muzzle brake that Krieger will install on their barrels.

While I have your attention, why would a person have a 1:12 twist for a .308 barrel?

Thanks for any information and your opinions.

I don't like any muzzle breaks as they are very loud and blow debris on your shooting partner, spotter, or people next to you.

I have 1-12 twist 308 Win. that I have taken out to 1000 yards in F-class, with 175 gr Federal GMM. Another with a 20 inch 1-12 twist out to 800-900 without issues.

Not all 1-10 twist barrels shoot 150 grain bullets as well as heaver bullets. I've had two 1-10 twist .308 Win barrels that were finicky with 150 - 180 grain bullets. One shot the best shot the best with 190 gr SMK, the other with 175 SMK. The one that liked the 190's was a match rifle and I used them. The one was a sporter weight barrel that averaged 1.75 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards with Nosler, Sierra, Speer and Hornady softpoint bullets. It shot 175 SMK into 3/8 inch groups. This situation does not lend itself to long range hunting.

This could be just a fluke of these two individual barrels. If you feel more confident with a tight twist barrel buy one.

Good luck

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, that helped a lot. I guess I will forego the muzzle brake. It's on a 30-06 with a 26 inch barrel with an 1:11 twist barrel.

I did a search, and could not find any information about what you guys think about the Fox River muzzle brake that Krieger will install on their barrels.

While I have your attention, why would a person have a 1:12 twist for a .308 barrel?

Thanks for any information and your opinions.

Perhaps non many here uses the radial type muzzle brakes like the Vais, Quiet, etc ..., there are plenty of better muzzle brakes out there.

While 1:12" work in most of instances, IIWY, I'd go with 1:10" for the heavier bullet options.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.