Barrel length and Muzzle Brake for 300wm

TwoTracks

I'm collecting parts for a 300wm build off of a Win M70 CRF action. I still need to buy the stock, barrel and a muzzle brake. The rifle will be used for informal steel out to 1000 yards and for hunts, where shots beyond 500 on game larger than deer are likely. Because of the hunting criteria, I'd like to keep the weight under 9lbs without optics and possibly keep the barrel at 24". Even a 24" barrel gets pretty long with 3" of brake or 7" of suppressor.

Im leaning towards a 24" or 26" Proof carbon Sendero contour. Am I hamstringing the build by going 24"?

For the brake, I'm leaning towards Area419, MBM, Terminator, etc. My main criteria is; I need the brake to be effective and easily removable. I plan to direct thread my suppressor if/when time permits. This could be accomplished by a self timing brake or my gunsmith can time it during the build.

Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thanks

I have a 24" Shilen 300WM on a Savage LRH, and I don't feel handicapped at all. With brake, it's just shy of 26". I have an identical Savage LRH with a 26" 7mm RM tube and a Muzzle Brakes and More 3 port Super Baby Beast, and it's right at my threshold for OAL at about 27.75". Any longer, and it would fall under "unwieldy" for me. YMMV.

At 24" I'm getting pretty good results with a 208 ELDM at 2870 fps or so (H1000, MAI brass), and there's room for another 20-40 fps if I wanted it probably. In my normal conditions, it's approaching a mile to supersonic transition. At 1000 yds, it positively thumps the steel, and occasionally topples my rickety stands.

The MBM SBB really shuts down the recoil in my opinion, is very competitively priced, and Nathan was a pleasure to deal with. It's one of his smaller offerings, with only 3 ports, but my 7RM is a true pussycat to shoot. My 300WM is nearly identical in weight, but with a Shilen installed radial style brake, but kicks substantially harder, despite only chucking out 12% more muzzle energy. Neither is a problem to shoot, and are way easier on the body than an unbraked 30-06, but the MBM brake appears to be way more efficient than the OEM Shilen brake.

In summary, the 30 to 60 fps you gain with 2" of barrel is only an issue when you're already at the extreme edge of what you want. A 300WM for big critters inside 700 and steel to 1000 is not anywhere near the "extreme edge" IMO. Since you're concerned about weight (couple ounces per inch), and plan on a suppressor, I'd stick to the shorter end of your choices.

I have 5 port brakes that are specifically meant to go on the proof sendero contour and be turned down to match the sendero diameter for a seamless transition. I only make titanium brakes, intending to be used on guns trying to keep weight manageable. My 5 ports weigh 2 oz and Only add approx 1.5" to the end of your barrel. You will also drop some weight having it turned to match. Shoot me a pm if you would like.

I've had a few 24" barrelled 300's, no animal on the planet will know the difference between 24" or 26".
You may want to get your Model 70 bolt fluted to reduce weight, the action is quite heavy just by itself with steel bottom metal.
I think your build is a good one, just need to think about where you can reduce/save weight to meet your goal of 9lbs.
I have a Win Model 70 EW, with scope/sling/ammo the lightest I could make it was 8.5lbs. This is with bolt fluting.
Barrel is very skinny on this rifle, and it's fluted.

Good luck, hope you come in under weight.

Cheers.

Thanks guys. I'm not a speed freak, so the velocity loss with a 24" barrel really doesn't bother me. It's good to bounce thoughts and plans off of like minded hunters and shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.