Barrel Length and Muzzle Breaks

Jim Matson

2 Questions:

1. How much recoil do you guys think that a muzzle break would decrease on a .308, 24'', 1:10 twist barrel? Gun weighs 8.9lbs with out scope.

2. For long range shooting would a 24'' and 26'', .308, 1:10 twist barrels have much difference in their performance? The 24'' would have a muzzle break and weighs 8.9lbs with out scope. The 26'' weighs 10lbs with out scope.

Being that the .308 isn't a particularly large, hard kicking caliber, and you already have a fairly heavy gun, I'd say you wouldn't NEED a muzzle brake unless you're very recoil-sensitive (nothing wrong if you are).
Having a brake obviously would make the gun kick noticeably less, which would be a definite plus if you intend to do some high-volume shooting, it may also make it easier to see where your shots impact through the scope.

What type of gun is it? and what type of brake does it have?

Some muzzle brakes have vents or ports only on the top and/or sides of the brake, some are called "radial brakes" and have ports all around.

If you're gonna do prone shooting stay away from radial brakes! The vents on the bottom of the brake will kick dust, dirt, sand, gravel, mud, etc. EVERYWHERE when you shoot. The effect won't be as bad on a .308 as it would be on something like a .338, but it will not be pleasant.

Brakes have disadvantages too. Namely- they're LOUD. If you don't protect your hearing, you'll lose it.

Barrel length? If the 24 inch has a radial brake, get the 26 inch. Otherwise, it's a personal choice. You may prefer a shorter, quicker-handling gun; or you may want the weight and balance of a longer barrel. The difference in velocity will be slight, accuracy is what matters.

Jim,

I was talking with a guy that is doing work with military armory and they were testing barrel lengths and and the effect on accuracy at different distances. He was full of intersting information but to make a long story short he stated at 1000 yards the guns with 26" barrels worked best and if you choose to shortened the barrels they concluded that 22-20" was the best for them no reason for the midrange lengths. I have put alot of muzzle brakes on tactical rifles and cut barrels off to 20" my customers just like the low recoil and they wear ear protection any way. The brakes I install do not have openings on the bottom prone shooters do not like that.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    6.7 KB · Views: 140
Re: Barrel Length and Muzzle Brakes

The 26'' is a Savage 12 VLP DBM, the 24'' is a Savage 10 FCP-K. The 24'' is threaded and pictured with the brake, not sure what type, but maybe the break doesn't even come with it?

That is a side-venting brake, and it does come with the gun.
I would personally get the 26 inch gun, because I'm a sucker for laminate stocks and I'm not a fan of Savage's synthetic stocks. They tend to be a bit flimsy. Either way, they're both good guns.

I have no experience with the Accustock although the idea seems solid.
The 26 inch has a laminate stock made by Boyds', I've handled a bunch of them, and they're pretty stiff. I actually bought one for my Weatherby .243 when the old synthetic couldn't hold a free-float anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts