Least fussy mono-metal bullet?

Totoro

Hey fellas, for those that shoot mono-metals exclusively; have you found a particular brand that isn't fussy when working up a load?

Yeah, broad-ish question; just needed to test the waters if those pills from PVA/Hammer/Badlands/Barnes etc where favored more over another.

Preface, looking to build a lighter weight 6.5PRC for using in a non-lead state (hint) and 24" tube.

I have loaded some TSX years back but had troubles getting the rifle to like the bullet.

Thanks!

Hey fellas, for those that shoot mono-metals exclusively; have you found a particular brand that isn't fussy when working up a load?

Yeah, broad-ish question; just needed to test the waters if those pills from PVA/Hammer/Badlands/Barnes etc where favored more over another.

Preface, looking to build a lighter weight 6.5PRC for using in a non-lead state (hint) and 24" tube.

I have loaded some TSX years back but had troubles getting the rifle to like the bullet.

Thanks!
Be prepared to get inundated. You can also search queries on this site.

Yeah Feenix, I expect it. Need more data points before making the jump.

Haven't found many shooters that have shot more than two brands to compare notes.

Strictly on paper, the PVA and Badlands have solid numbers but that doesn't mean whole heck of a lot if they require specific freebore etc (PVA) to work well.

My plan was to have the rifle chambered to SAAMI spec's so in a pinch, I can throw cup-cores when out of state.

Thanks!

Yeah Feenix, I expect it. Need more data points before making the jump.

Haven't found many shooters that have shot more than two brands to compare notes.

Strictly on paper, the PVA and Badlands have solid numbers but that doesn't mean whole heck of a lot if they require specific freebore etc (PVA) to work well.

My plan was to have the rifle chambered to SAAMI spec's so in a pinch, I can throw cup-cores when out of state.

Thanks!
Monolithic bullet manufacturers do not require specific freebore but rather recommend a minimum barrel twist rate to optimize bullet stability. If you are referring to PVA's optimal freebore information, it is not a specific freebore requirement but rather the optimal freebore they found on their testing. For instance, 124g (.264") Seneca's optimal freebore information is .120-.200. IIRC, 6.5 PRC reamer SAAMI freebore is .188. On another site, a gunsmith is using a .130 reamer freebore. Both freebore falls within the optimal freebore information that PVA has on their website.

If you want to shoot monolithic and cup/core bullets, you need to have the proper twist rate to stabilize the bullet you will shoot. For instance, I have a 1:7" for both my .264 WM and .257 WBTY and can shoot most if not all monolithic bullets and cup/core requiring fast twist for stability.

@codyadams has a lot of real-world experience/successes with the Badlands bullets, and probably Cayugas too.

Last edited:
I've only had experience with Barnes and Hammer, in the monolithic world. These are across a number of cartridges and different weight bullets. I'm hoping in the future Badlands will make it easier to export their bullets to Canada then I'll definitely be trying them. Between Barnes and Hammer, I would vote Hammer as significantly easier to find loads for. If there's one thing I've learned from shooting both Barnes and Hammer, is they really do shoot better with as fast a twist as possible. Shooting to their minimum recommendations is a hit or miss proposition.

Many many thanks fellas.

The Barnes LRX in factory loads is appealing as a starting point for baseline being the other factory non-leads are just as non-existent in loaded and component form.

I have many accounts here about the Hammers and Cody about the Badlands but hardly any hard info on the PVA Cayuga....hmm....

Many many thanks fellas.

The Barnes LRX in factory loads is appealing as a starting point for baseline being the other factory non-leads are just as non-existent in loaded and component form.

I have many accounts here about the Hammers and Cody about the Badlands but hardly any hard info on the PVA Cayuga....hmm....
I have Badlands (125s and 135s for my .264 WM ) and Cayugas (117s for my .257 WBTY and 178s for my .30 Gibbs), but I cannot seem to find time for load development. :mad:

I have no problem not finding information on Cayugas as it is relatively new, and I will be doing my load developments and testing anyways. As with anything else, YMMV.

For field result/harvest with Cayuga bullets, see @codyadams post in 50, 53, and 104 of https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/anyone-using-pva-cayuga-bullets.240748/page-4

Last edited:
I've had great luck with the Barnes TTSX in various calibers, (accuracy, speed & lethality), saying this, I just got a few Hammers in, and just in my .270 Win, have so far been impressed with not only the accuracy, but speed as well, but have not tried on game as of yet.

Recent Posts