New Mono Bullet

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
So I have been given the yellow light to go ahead and talk about what we have been working on now for quite a while. I have hinted at it a couple of times and restrained myself. Which by the way has been very difficult. Many of you know that I have been a proponent of the all copper mono bullets for a long time. I just like the way they work. I have not always been happy with the offerings that have been available for the last 10 years. So long story short my buddy and I decided we should make them. I now have had a cnc lathe set up in my formerly garage, now machine shop, since last Dec. My wife is not so happy that she now has to park outside.

So we set out to design our own bullet and through our testing found that what we designed works quite well. It then became very apparent that we needed to protect our product with a patent. We got our design patent filed last week and are still working on the provisional patent. Once that is filed, I will have free reign to get them out to everyone. For now I am told that I can get them into the hands of professionals with an NDA to test them. I am told that heading out into the general market now without the provisional patent done could jeopardize our invention.

LRH is the only place I have ever been involved with as far as an on line shooting community. This place has talented respectful members that I value the opinions and expertise. I am very excited to share with you all what we have done. My intention from the beginning of this journey was to consult with everyone here on our product development. My feeling is that with the help of everyone here we can produce the best bullet possible. I promise that I will take positive and negative input equally. I also promise that I will not engage in the giant ******* matches that I have seen others get into about the products that they produce. I have one goal. To produce the best product possible. Our intention is to have three lines of bullets. Hunting, target, and long range hunting. The general hunting market is obviously the largest market. This is the market that hunts under 400 yards, where bc really doesn't matter. It is hard for me to concentrate on this market since it does not fall into my shooting. We have designed bullets that will fit the conventional weight and factory twist of this market. They just are not as sexy as the long range hunters, but more easily marketed to the masses. Our design invention has to do with drag reduction so it is kind of counter to short range hunting. Who knows, maybe our high bc products will just be used short and long. In the mono metal it just can't be done to produce common caliber weight and high bc.

I feel like I am beginning to ramble on a bit, so I will stop. Anxious to get this journey going with everyone here.

Steve

Sounds great! Always good to see another manufacturer step up with a new product. I have long liked and used mono bullets myself although not exclusively by any means.

I will look forward to your new product and will certainly give it a try.

I've been watching for you to spill the beans on this, you've had to bite your tongue a few times :D
Here's my two cents, give me an accurate BC, I care far more about having an accurate BC than a stupid high BC from a manufacture, in this day and age when we can take a tested BC that is accurate and take it to 2000 yards with relative ease just feeding any number of programs accurate data there is no excuse for stupid numbers!!
Along with accurate BC numbers we need accurate twist rates, we can get any twist rate we can cook up these days, tell me what will give me the best precision for your bullet and I'll order it and build with it, this is especially important with monos!! Just straight up solid info, no smoke!
I'm kinda stoked to see what you guys have cooked up, I head up your direction every few months to visit buddies and pick up actions and building stuff, I would really like to add some made in MT precision long range bullets to my list gun)

Good news.

I'm thinking your location would allow me to drive up there and do some on/near site load development...:)

ELR in 277/30/338/375 cal is my interest.

I'd love to see how they open up at low velocities when they hit flesh way out there. Keeping them somewhat reasonably priced would be a huge bonus too as most mono metals aren't real friendly on a guys wallet.

Thought I would jump in here and help Steve....
I am the other part of this equation. I do the programming to cut these things. If there is any special weight/length anyone wants, I am willing to give it shot.
We have done quite a bit of testing so far, (but a ways to go) and like what we are seeing. This will be an interesting journey but we are very excited to get these out to some professionals to test. One step at a time.
Steve pretty much said everything else (that we can).
Brian

Glad to hear from you guys. Last thing we want to do is blow any smoke. We will never intentionally blow up bc's. Any bc we use will hopefully get you close out where you want to go. We are just hunters that want bullets that do what we all need them to do. I do believe that monos give us the best chance of working from close range >100 and out to long range<800++ with the same bullet.

Fact is monos cost more to make than conventional cup and core, so I don't think we will ever be able to make them compete. So there will always be a place for the cheaper bullet to be used. Just use them for the less important things.:D

So trust us when we say that we have one mission in our long term plan. We only want to make a really good bullet. We will always put quality ahead of price. It simply does not feel right for me to cut corners and sacrifice quality in order to make our product less expensive.

Our roots are as hunters and we will never lose touch with that. Our main attention is always going revolve around hunting and terminal ballistics.

Thanks guys for your words of encouragement. We will always give you the best we can.

Steve

I'm looking forward to the launch of your new products, especially for those hunting / long - range hunting bullets in 7 and 8 mm. What kind of bullets will that be? What I understand will the bullets be more sophisticated like CNC - cut (ogive rings?), and not pressed copper as Barnes and its relatives?

Congrats to you both Steve and Brian. I look forward to hearing more. When you get something for Long Range hunting in .284, .308 and .338 I would maybe like to get some.

Steve, your presentation has been great and I have come to trust and respect you as a straight shooter over many years and posts. But do you really want to joke like this " Just use them for the less important things.:D"

I know its just a joke but I think everyone chooses a bullet for hunting with the utmost importance, no matter what brand is on the box.

Look forward to hearing more in the future.

Jeff