Least effective brake

some useful information here

That's semi useful as it's almost a 7 year old test a a lot has happened with brakes since then.

OP take a look at the Patriot Valley Arms brakes. They are designed to not send blast back at the shooter but also give good recoil reduction. I have a few of them and they work well.

And you ahve data, hard number to show?
Yes, they changed, but not really, as with very few exceptions, the designs/mechanics/acoutstics remain the same

That is very interesting design
Yep and when I take that blast forward sleeve off, it's LOUD. Otherwise with it on really pretty pleasant to shoot. Someone one here also told me about another brake https://macsgunworks.com/product/nwp-notimer-muzzle-brake-all-calibers/. These aren't bad, I have one on my Valkyrie, it has a bit of a peck on my ears when shooting without a stocking hat or hood.
When shooting several rnds, I use HP but when I shoot once and or have my stocking hat and hood up it's not bad.

That one is pretty close to probably the way they should be made, the first port should force the blast straight out or slightly forward to mitigate the slightly back ports expelled gases. The macs is all straight out to the sides, little to no gasses backwards.

Yep and when I take that blast forward sleeve off, it's LOUD. Otherwise with it on really pretty pleasant to shoot. Someone one here also told me about another brake https://macsgunworks.com/product/nwp-notimer-muzzle-brake-all-calibers/. These aren't bad, I have one on my Valkyrie, it has a bit of a peck on my ears when shooting without a stocking hat or hood.
When shooting several rnds, I use HP but when I shoot once and or have my stocking hat and hood up it's not bad.

That one is pretty close to probably the way they should be made, the first port should force the blast straight out or slightly forward to mitigate the slightly back ports expelled gases. The macs is all straight out to the sides, little to no gasses backwards.
I understand the acoustic part, with directing the blast forward, just curious about recoil and muzzle rise

I understand the acoustic part, with directing the blast forward, just curious about recoil and muzzle rise
Yeah, being a .223, really not much recoil to begin with…….but I have shot my father in laws 300win mag and it was pleasant to shoot and that's the biggest caliber I've shot to date.

And you ahve data, hard number to show?
Yes, they changed, but not really, as with very few exceptions, the designs/mechanics/acoutstics remain the same

Actually quite a few changes in the past 7 years with designs and new brakes. As I said that is semi good if a brake he is looking at is there. Also there have been design changes with brakes on that list which give better recoil but more blast.

No I don't have any hard numbers to show but having used a bunch and shot thousands of rounds in matches with them I can give some first hand shooting info as I did with the PVA brake. A lot less blast back compared to other brakes like the Fat/Little Bastards and other similar but still giving good recoil reduction.

With less then 50% of my hearing left after decades of shooting, I'd advise ear protection, anybbrake or no brake.
I was just given an "Easy Tuner Brake(Eric Cortina) as a Christmas gift from a buddy. He raves about it.
I'm anxious to give it a try.

With less then 50% of my hearing left after decades of shooting, I'd advise ear protection, anybbrake or no brake.
I was just given an "Easy Tuner Brake(Eric Cortina) as a Christmas gift from a buddy. He raves about it.
I'm anxious to give it a try.

I even recommend ear protection with suppressors, and most of the times, I use double ear protection, both molded in ear, and over ear.

I even recommend ear protection with suppressors, and most of the times, I use double ear protection, both molded in ear, and over ear.

Amen!!! A lot of people think suppressors are hearing safe but they can still damage hearing. I always where at least one set of ears with suppressors and usually double up with unsuppressed.

I am not a brake fan, but considering one on my next build. I want some of the advantages without the deafening shockwave as I'm not very likely to earplug, though I'll try. I want the majority of the blast to go about 35-60*, 0* being the bore. What are some things to consider?
I have several brakes and none are quiet. If you get a brake on your rifle, and dont use hearing protection on your first shot, you will on the second shot.

What about using a self timing muzzlebrake, which only take seconds to remove or remount and simply taking them off when you are hunting? I have brakes from APA and Area 419 that are very effective in reducing both felt recoil and muzzle jump. Anyone else want to weigh in on this? When shooting at an animal, I don't even notice the recoil from a 300 WM.
Most of my MBs are self-timing. "IF" your POI does not shift when you remove it, have fun with it. "I" never take mine off during hunting, it is much easier for me to use my hearing protection than worrying about any changes in barrel harmonics.

The original BOSS system came with a brake and non-brake option. When hunting you can use non-brake option. Same tune, same point of impact! I know because I have them

The quiet brake is a radial brakes (holes all around like the Vais brake) made by Gentry (https://gentrycustom.com/) here in MT. There us nothing quiet about it. Radial brakes are the least effective brakes I have.
Yes, they are least effective, but for hunting rile, where you shoot one or 2 rounds it's ok. They are very elegant if you have a nice hunting rifle and do not look like calvary canons from Afghanistan.

Recent Posts