Labradar accurate or hype?

A A Ron

Have users had any issues with the readings being accurate?

Radar sounds high-tech and accurate, but it is a machine made by man. The manual claims accuracy is within 1%. Reason I ask is it consistently is 70 to 80 fps lower than my two Shooting Chronys readings. (They are a pain to set up for reliable readings.) When I validate by velocity at a 1000 yards with Berger 200 gr Hybrid Targets and a Strelock, I need to add about 60 fps. Makes the old Chronys seem more accurate.

I've had a Labradar for most of this year. I compared it to the Magnetospeed I had been using for years. The LR and MS were within a few feet per vcd second of each other. I did this for several outings and then sold the MS.

Same.

Sorry not for sale, it was a birthday present.

No, not solely. I'm using the Labradar for velocity. I used the Berger G7 published BC in the Strelock Pro solver. I shot it at a 1000 yards during different range sessions, to true the velocity, and then confirmed the truing at 800. I had entered all environmental factors in the app. I had to adjust the velocity in the app (trajectory validation) to match the come ups. The app added 60 fps to solve the balistic problem. I didn't adjust the BC since Berger is smarter than I am and I trust their bc is well vetted with that bullet.

Back to point. Have others experienced inaccurate velocity readings with a Labradar?

Haven't had that issue. My Lab Radar has been outstanding. As far as truing, my understanding is that if the amount of deviation from the solver increases with distance (plotting over multiple distances), then adjust muzzle velocity. If the difference is more consistent, adjust BC.

image.jpg

I have had all 3. The chronies are gone. I have a mag and lab. I use the lab. I rarely have to true anything to 1000 since using the lab. I also don't believe in BC being dead on for everyone's rifle and situation. It's a solid starting point but you may need to tweak it slightly. Berger uses an average BC where hornady and sierra like steps bc based off velocity belts. Like you, I think all those sources are smarter than I am so I run their data first.

Now, your set up could be the issue. Labs have a lot of settings that can be tweaked and changed. Frequency, bullet weight, recoil trigger vs pulse trigger, rifle/pistol setting, etc etc etc. If you have not messed with the settings I'd try it.

There's about 100 people on here that would buy that Labradar!
Are you using drop data solely as a velocity indicator?
Interesting question to me. I don't have a chronograph but use Strelok to give me a ballpark estimate of velocity by drop. It has a true data feature but I am not sure how to use it. I assume you basically shoot other distances for drop, enter that by playing with velocities until that matches your drops and you should be close to what it is. Am I even close to understanding it?