Kill the wolf?

Not all ranchers refuse to allow access. In Montana we are currently hunting the elk shoulder season. We let many families on to hunt cows. But those wolves are not only dropping elk numbers they are dropping our cattle numbers as well. I'm sure it's easy to assume all ranchers are stingy land grabbers but you might want to get your facts together before you make more foolish statements!

I hear all sides of this. If you listen to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the wolves are the epitome of a threat to the whole ecosystem. Western sheep and cattle ranchers will pretty much back that up. We must maintain a balance in the population, or we stand a chance to have another animal go extinct. That cannot happen. I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.
Having lived in Idaho all my life, what you have been told is on the same level as the democrats trying to impeach Trump. Just because you have a sheepskin does not make you smarter than everybody else. I have seen a true grey wolf back in 1977. It was not anything like the ones introduced. There was no reason to bring these in. This is and continuing to be a great travesty to the wildlife of Idaho. They kill just because they can. They do not eat everything. They do not just take the weak and young. They take whatever happens to be there. Idaho law says that NOBODY can introduce wildlife into Idaho without consent of IDFG and then be licensed and controlled. A certain group of people thought they were above the law. Just like the democrats. There here now and will be forever. Elk and everything else will suffer from here on out. The certain people will have ruined the ecosystem. It's happening now. Until you live here and around the You will never know. It is getting closer and closer till a human will be sacrificed by wolf . Damned neared happened in canada this last summer. There was nothing wrong before but it is almost a complete catastrophe. Overeducated,underworked,onesided people making decisions.

At 20K, it sounds like you were over-populated. Biologists in Idaho say that wolves account for less than 1% of the total predation of Idaho elk. While cougars account for the largest predation, at only 2%. Life mortality accounts for the biggest loss, as cow elk have achieved a longer life span, and it has come of age.
https://www.cdapress.com/outdoors/20181122/increasing_idahos_elk_numbers_is_predator_management_goal

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-elk-2017-2018.pdf
I,ve hunted in wisconsin since 1962 ,missing 65'-69' while served in the USN.we,ve gone in our area from seeing 20-60 deer a day to "0"....we sent 6 seasoned hunters out last seasom,only 1 man saw a deer,a doe and fawn...since the Wi.DNR introduced wolves it has decimated our deer population...
The Wi.DNR does not manage our deer herd nor want to.Going to a phone in register system..they are not afield.They do not have an accurate number for population or kill,because They ride around in their new green 4WD.trucks dressed impeccably in new L.L.BEAN green wool uniforms.Looking more like highway patrolmen instead of deer/bear managers...

Said it on here before I'll say it again. As someone who grew up in cattle country trying to keep yotes off the calves during calving season. I have zero interest in wolves being here. My ancestors helped kill them off from this area and I hope it stays that way. Now someone start another Creed thread so we can wash repeat just like we do the wolf thing.

Hey fella, you think you are the only one here that has grown up in cattle country and dealt with coyotes and calves? That is the biggest joke I have heard so far. I said this once and I will say it again. I never said not to shoot them. I said eradication of them was a no go. If you have wolves wiping out the calves, you have too many wolves. An occasional calf is what it is. If you have elk numbers to where the elk are destroying crops, you have too many elk. Most people are too busy worried about their own personal interests, instead of the balance of nature. Hunters worried about their bag limits, farmers worried about their crops, ranchers worried about their stock. I fit is all 3 of the previous entries and still understand you have to have balance. And, yes F&W can make good decisions, it is getting the decisions pushed through, when you are fighting all these personal interests groups and anti-hunters, is where the problems take place. You think that is a joke? I know better.

I hear all sides of this. If you listen to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the wolves are the epitome of a threat to the whole ecosystem. Western sheep and cattle ranchers will pretty much back that up. We must maintain a balance in the population, or we stand a chance to have another animal go extinct. That cannot happen. I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.
Here is a piece of information you may not have considered and many do not know. There used to be a population of caribou in NW Montana, not enough to hunt but they existed. For the most part they are non-existent now.
The biggest lesson we need to take away from this exercise in introduction of a species is that the non-native species (in this case the Canadian grey wolf) should never be brought into an ecosystem. This really should have been learned through the damage that brown trout have had on the cutthroat trout population in our western waters.
Any of us with friends in Colorado need to ensure they are educated on the dangers of wolf introduction as a bill has made it onto the ballot with the help of some extremists who's ultimate goal is to have predators control ungulate populations so they can ban hunting.

Im in Texas. We don't have much of a wolf problem. Its more of a coyote and pig. Ranchers want to charge an outrageous price to hunt on their land to shoot coyotes and hog but complain how they are killing their deer, cattle and destroying their crops. I remember this one time out west me and a friend went out to this ranchers place and killed around 300 hogs. He gave us this $400 bill for hunting on his property. We told him something must have got lost in translation cause you owe us $3500. You hired us to help you with your problem and now you are trying to charge us. We were all laughing until we all went to court. $$$$ Pay day. We got our $3500. We told the rancher if he would like we can charge him full price. We charged you a discounted price cause you were a friend of a friend. Sorry for the confusion.

Well I can't say that I am an expert on the damage that hogs cars, but I can tell you in comparison to a wolf the damage that a coyote can cause is laughable. Paradigm of wolves is an interesting one. I am a resident of Northwest Montana and what wolves have done here is utterly disgusting. But when you "Cry Wolf" your concerns are dismissed because there are locations in the state where we are supposedly over objective on Elk numbers. While wolves have made an impact state wide, the real issue is seen when you have areas that get high snow pack and have poor winter range. i.e. NW Montana, North Idaho, British Columbia. These areas have been hardest hit, I can show you basin after basin that are void of ungulates were they used to be overflowing. It's truly sad. Unless we implement predator management tactics of old I fear our populations will never recover. All I can say is don't do it Colorado!

A typical democratic, millennial statement, coming someone who doesn't live nor ever hunted there. I hunted one time in Wyoming and saw the devastating effects (loss of elk and deer populations)caused by the wolves. I spoke to other hunters, guides and outfitters, who explained the 3S rule to me. Three years later went to Yellowstone and saw even more reduced numbers and the wolf worshipping. Sickening. Worse yet how others side with the wolf worshipers....i hunt every year in Colorado, now the Colorado Parks wants to introduce wolves in Colorado! If you want to know how it feels, maybe the feral hogs should be put on the endangered species list and be federally protected in TEXAS....That is what he federal government has done to the wolves.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.