Kill the wolf?

I hear all sides of this. If you listen to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the wolves are the epitome of a threat to the whole ecosystem. Western sheep and cattle ranchers will pretty much back that up. We must maintain a balance in the population, or we stand a chance to have another animal go extinct. That cannot happen. I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.
If you do not live in wolf country then you know what you read.
If you do live in wolf country then you know what you've SEEN.
Think about this. Wolves were not nearly eradicated from the lower 48 in the 1800-1900's because ammo was cheap at wal mart. They did what they did for a reason.
Introducing an invasive species into the lower 48 is nothing but AGENDA 21/AGENDA30.
People who do not live in wolf country and have an opinion on the wolf situation are as about as useful as asking a blind person their favorite movie......

Disagree. Some pretty competent people have tried, and failed at this.

https://www.capitalpress.com/ag_sec...cle_b8f665b6-1164-11ea-85a3-27f389a464b0.html

The battle was lost in the courtroom, and will have to be reversed there. The continued appointment of conservative judges is the way to meaningful changes in the situation in the woods.
Conservative judges allow corporations to determine laws and policies which take public and private land for profit. What happens to the species we like to hunt and other species then?

so much bs, wolves kill for enjoyment and for training and frequently don't bother to eat much or any of their kills. We have had confirmed wolf kill where no part of the kill was consumed. And yes, they do kill young. But the myth of killing the sick and weak is just that, a darwin inspired myth that never has been supported by real world evidence, doesn't happen. We have a better apex predator, us, we don't need wolves spreading echinocous granulosis to game, pets, and people. You think the native people didn't kill them every time they had a chance? Canadians think we are crazy to import their wolves, and they are right.

Three years ago in northern Nevada we followed a herd of elk that was being followed by a wolf. When we went back to the ranch that had allowed use access, they said they didn't have any wolves and if they did they followed the 3s program. We fully understood and would have done the same if we had had the opportunity.
Guess what? This year the idiots at Nevada F&G had this statement in the regs: "It is illegal to kill wolves in Nevada".
My opinion: We have more than enough wolves in the system right now. I have followed, read and observed as many wolves as I possible could in my life. Do not believe the idiots that say wolves only kill for food. I have seen fifty three dead sheep and a bunch more injured in a sheep pen. Ask the mountain lion hunter that had his pack of hounds destroyed by a pack of wolves what he thinks of wolves. Watch any real video on how wolves kill and it will turn your stomach. Do they have a "right" to be here? Sure balanced with our right to protect our way of life and property.
The assumption that 20,000 elk is over population is just that, an assumption. Idaho F&G wasn't on top of the kill off until they woke up and didn't have a herd of elk that was a huntable population.
Wolves are not being manged based on solid scientific wildlife practices. They are being managed in the public opinion poll. WRONG!! If you want to see the future of wolf management, just look at the wild horse fiasco. Look at the emaciated skin and bones horses all around northern Nevada and see what management by public opinion does to wildlife.

I don't live in Wolf country but, because of my proximity to it, I've been trying to stay abreast of the developments. From what I have researched, there were two major factors that made the introduction of wolves a debacle. The first was the selection of the wolves themselves. The F&W imported Canadian Grey Wolves which are a non-native species. Having evolved eating Caribou, they grow to be about 100-150 pounds and are very aggressive.

Couple that with game species that have not seen a wolfpack in a century, and you understand why Elk herds dropped by 80%. They didn't react to a predator because they didn't recognize it as a predator. End result? By the time the Elk or Deer, or Antelope realized they were in trouble, they were already on the menu, ready to serve.

Wolves are probably here to stay, but the packs must be handled intelligently. Emotion cannot override reality. A Wolf season is not unreasonable.
Emotion and human intervention is what brought the current northern wolf packs south and we are seeing the reality of that lack of sound judgement. Clearly we need to get more "unemotionally" aggressive with the management of this situation. Especially in Washington and Oregon.

You don't have a clue as to why F&W cannot get effective management practices in place. They are fighting every special interest group in the world, trying to get things working as they should. We don't need wolf packs to the point of killing family dogs, but the wolves do not need to be eradicated.
And you do, just keeps getting more hilarious by the minute.

Well I guess if the Texas people on here who know so much about Montana and Idaho's wolf issues we should live trap all of ours and send them to Texas where they can eat their cattle, whitetails, exotics, and possibly cure their feral hog issue. Then they might have some facts behind the foolish things they post!
Maybe we send our wolves their way and they can eat the feral pigs. So we can quit hearing about that.....
You would think, having the experience of a fast breeding, highly damaging, threat to the environment critter, like the feral hogs would give them a good perspective on our wolf problem. Weird how they think it's apples and oranges. Or that they fail to recognize we are on the same team.

SSS is kind of a joke because guys think they are going to apply this when they come across a wolf randomly while they are out deer or elk hunting. Random sightings are pretty rare in my experience. And the ones I have had would have been difficult to get a shot off - you have to actually go put some time and effort into hunting them. Most people aren't willing to do that.

If people put the time and effort into filling their 5 wolf tags as they do whining about it on the internet, we wouldnt have as much of a wolf problem.

What's with controversial posts on long range hunting lately? Why do I join these threads? Oh crap commenting means I joined...well here we go.

western hunters aren't as good as southern hunters.

you can't kill an elk with anything 6.5

wolves belong in our ecosystem and I applaud conservation efforts

338 Lapua is the end all be all of long range calibers

leupold is better than nightforce

which gun should I build?

moa or mil? I think Mils better

what makes Remington 700s so much better than savages?

Anyone hear of the Sherman short mags?

match bullet failure on game animal! Must read!

SMKs for hunting?

Bergers suck change my mind.

Phew...am I missing anything? Please feel free to add. Got to get it out of my system for the new year and start fresh!
Yes sir you missed something.
"I've read something that I believed so it's the rite way to do it."
"Just because you have done something, doesn't mean it can be done that way. I read something that said you can't do it that way."
"Just because you have accomplished something I have not, does not mean that I'm not smarter than you by saying you can't do that."

Maybe we send our wolves their way and they can eat the feral pigs. So we can quit hearing about that.....
You would think, having the experience of a fast breeding, highly damaging, threat to the environment critter, like the feral hogs would give them a good perspective on our wolf problem. Weird how they think it's apples and oranges. Or that they fail to recognize we are on the same team.

You just proved my point. Thanks.

In WI there are no tags. I can see where SSS would be tough in western states with huge tracts of land. It also doesn't have to be as passive as waiting until one runs past this deer stand either...

Not part of the SSS strategy or maybe even effective to control numbers, but I met a guy in wolf country in WI who had a novel way to keep their coyote dogs safe. They started running a couple pitbulls with their hounds. He said they didn't have very good noses or really even know what they were supposed to be doing, but they would run along. If a wolf showed up they would latch on and the hounds would pile in. Said there wouldn't be much left of the wolf by the time they got there. No more lost dogs.
In New Zealand they have lab pits bread to hunt pigs. Really amazing dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.