Jim Zumbo talks on Nugent forum

BountyHunter

Ted Nugent had Jim Zumbo posting on his forum today.

"The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, I'm told, has never before been equaled. I'm not proud of that.
Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, I'm not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I don't want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I can't believe I said the words "ban" and "terrorist" in the context that I did. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What I've learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really can't explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one "black" firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I'm learning that many of my pals own AR-15's and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. I'm almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love most…America's gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I've ever done. But what's different now is that I'll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about "black" rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that I'll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, I'll order one. The NUGE has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15's, and I'm eager to go, and learn. I'll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and there's no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and I'll repeat it. I'm willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If you're willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this."

Jim Zumbo

I know Jim Zumbo. I believe that his apology is heart felt and he did speak out through ignorance and not thinking. I'm sorry to see him leave for all the good he has done over the years.

i don't know him other than a TV hunting personality, but i've always liked him better than most.i'm like him in that i've never thought much about owning a black rifle. heck i've never even had one in my hands much less fired one.but i do know that as far as law enforcement and the military, they're the cats meow!

i believe his apology is for real and we'll see him doing advertisements for, you guessed it, black rifles in the near future.

the man made a mistake. yeah it was a big mistake.last i checked there was only one guy that could claim he never made any. i say we let it go because this kind of internal chastisement is not good for our sport.

Nothing against Jim Zumbo that I don't hold against anyone using political terms such as assault weapons,ban, or referring to anyone useing an AR,SKS or other firearm as a terrorist.
<font color="red">The line has ben drawn-I for one will back it up as often as necessary!! </font>

[ QUOTE ]
I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I've ever done. But what's different now is that I'll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about "black" rifles and the controversy that surrounds them.
Jim Zumbo

[/ QUOTE ]

67 yrs old and still hasnt got a clue what the 2nd Amendment represents.

The apology demonstrates that he still misses the fundamental complaint. The debate is not what is an appropriate type of rifle for hunting, but what is appropriate for citizens to own. The complaints are not about hunting, but about the fundamental right to own. He still is missing that point. He might start to understand the point if it were re-phrased, "ban all R700's because few people really NEED to hunt to survive."

The key point is that the radicals, yes "radical liberals," that were our founding fathers such as Jefferson, Washington, Franklin, Adams, et al., enshrined the right to own, not to assure the right to go hunting, but to limit the power of those who govern and assure that citizens always have the ultimate power to resist an oppressive government from which they had just freed themselves.

Here is a link to some of the thoughts of our founding fathers and framers of the Constitution. If we fail to defend all of our Constitution principles and protections even for those we do not personally like, the principles and protections will not be there for us when we need them.

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/quotes/arms.html

I started to say what Dave W said and couldn't figure out how to make it sound right. I have no love for black guns other than for military type purposes. I understand that other people do like them but I fail to understand why.
I have only seen one such gun in the woods and it had an illegal magazine in it. I know the daddy of the kid and I am sure he was emabarrassed to death to have his son out deer hunting with it.

Some days I get to thinking about the "good old days" and come out with some real pearls of wisdom myself like "Gameboy generation".

Although, I guess Zumbo did not apologize to us long range hunters so he may not be fully cognizant of all of his errors.

Jim's "heart felt" explanation was well written and even a bit moving. Almost made me feel sorry for him. However, it wasn't just the black gun statement that fired up so many sportsmen - it was his willingness to attack a segment of our fraternity. He can say anything he wants to now but we KNOW how he feels about several shooting issues.

This is a great country, in part, because of our right of free speech. But along with that right to express yourself comes the potential consequences of telling people how you feel.

As I said on the other thread, I have never heard of the fella.

However, I do think that he learned something important and I accept his apology.

A couple of mistakes doesn't a monster make. But words mean things. Once said, words carry their meaning.

I'm amazed that the 'fraternity' could bring a fella down so quickly.

I did not read anything about aoplogizing to long range hunters????

I guess that is not where the backing money was coming from!!!

I am all for forgiving and forgetting but until he offers a writen apology to those of us that ethically hunt at long range I have little use for the man.

If he can suddenly be educated that an AR-15 can be used for big game hunting, why is it that he can not educate himself that it is very practical to take game at ranges out past 500 yards???

I think this is one of those "stepped in it deep" apologizes and now he is looking for someone to throw him a rope so he can be pulled out of the mess be made.

Personally, I take great offense that he took a conversation he had with a personal friend of mine, about one of my 270 AM rifles, took bits and pieces from that conversation and basically spread lies about it on a public blog. That is not a man with a good heart. That is a man with an agenda that is willing to lie to make a storyline.

Personally, I am not convinced or satisfied with this apology. He totally snubbed LR hunters.

Just my opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
I did not read anything about aoplogizing to long range hunters????

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am just old fashioned, or maybe just old, I am not sure. But I can't find any words in his statement that say, "I am sorry" or, "I apologize for what I said". (to anyone)

Jim

To All:

What about this?

MATTHEW 18:21
Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
MATTHEW 18:22
Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

I don't know Mr Zumbo. I've never seen his TV show. In fact this furore is the first that I can recall ever hearing of him. (Not surprising because I'm South African).

I'm inclined to think he still misses the point. Does that mean that you can't believe that he is sincerely sorry? No, he may well be. But something needs to be said about this whole "legitimate use" and "legitimate hunting purpose" thing that keeps rearing its head, both elswhere and throughout Mr Zumbo's apology.

Does a street legal Ferrarri, or supercharged Corvette capable of 200 mph have a "legitimate purpose"? Certainly no-one "needs" one. And is using the car's capabilities fully on a public road a risk to others? Yes, depending on the extent and probably depending on who is driving. But guess what, some people own things for the entertainment factor and for their own pleasure and need to be assumed to be responsible to allow certain freedoms and liberties to be "lived out".

Once you accept the "legitimate purpose" argument it's the beginning of the end and any gun writer who jumps on that bandwagon deserves this type of response. Bill Ruger's comments about high cap magazines still cost Ruger business today, I believe, and Bill Ruger's stance on that did the shooting public a great deal of damage.

We have very onerous firearm licensing and ownership regulations and limitations here. It's a very slippery slope and no-one should be permitted unchallenged to help push the shooting fraternity onto it (by design or otherwise) whilst you as a shooter contribute to their income.

Kirby is correct in that shooters allow the "divide and conquer" approach from legislators. Many hunters don't care about an "assualt weapons ban" beacuse "I don't have, want, or need one of those!" So too high cap magazine bans. Well guess what? Your "long range sniping rifle" in an AM, Edge, or LM chambeing is next! Then your .300 WM because it too is a sniping rifle that can hit a torso size target at 600 yrds (and for most of you further). Why would anyone need that for a "legitimate hunting purpose".

Mr Zumbo still seems likley to support only certain firearms for what HE feels are "legitimate uses". What about the AR's for 3-gun? Or for plinking? (Or for shooting off a boat in Alaska which is immensley enjoyable apparently) Or for shooting once in a while at the range? On simply admiring in the safe?

Mr Zumbo sounds to me like a danger to firearm owners whilst he maintains that mentality.

Just the cynical (and plenty bitten plenty shy) comments of a South African gun owner.

Wim

I never heard of Mr. Zumbo either. Definitely not a smart move by a recognized gun writer, and I am glad several companies have booted him!

What is interesting is how many threads have been started on various boards condemning his actions, and how quickly the message was sent and action taken. I hope this same energy can be used against the politicians that threaten to take our 2nd amendment rights away.

It is crucial while this Mr. Zumbo incident is still fresh in our minds that we let our Politicians know we will not stand for them messing with our rights. Just as we let Mr. Zumbo know what he did was wrong, and wasn't tolerated. This could end up being a positive thing if we send a strong enough message. I will be writing letters to elected officials and following NRA's suggestions, it's a start.

AG

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.