It Shoots!!

frostop

Well I have gotten this thing together and shooting pretty good!!
I am not sure I like the Boyds Thumbhole, that may get changed out!
Shooting 67.5 gr. Retumbo, 165 Matrix vld at 3050fps.
Thats a 400 yd target shot prone off a bipod. I think that I am the weak link here.
I am trying to get geared up to take the Defensive edge class this summer!
Rifle.jpg

400yd. Target.jpg

Just built a gun off the Boyds thumb hole stock and I really like it! Can't beat the price, and the gun is shooting lights out. Hope the thumb hole grows on you sir!

))--SLIVER-->

Actually I enjoy shooting the Thumbhole but when it comes to carrying it, it just isn't that comfortable to carry! It will likely just become my go sit rifle!gun)

It's built on a Ruger M77 MkII Short action, Pacnor 26" Fluted Sendoro contour, Timney Trigger, 270wsm, boyds thumbhole that I pillar bedded and than bedded over the top of, Caldwell Bipod(which I like, especially considering the price). I am loading Norma brass with retumbo, br2 primers and matrix 165vld.

Last edited:
Actually I enjoy shooting the Thumbhole but when it comes to carrying it, it just isn't that comfortable to carry! It will likely just become my go sit rifle!gun)

It's built on a Ruger M77 MkII Short action, Pacnor 26" Fluted Sendoro contour, Timney Trigger, 270wsm, boyds thumbhole that I pillar bedded and than bedded over the top of, Caldwell Bipod(which I like, especially considering the price). I am loading Norma brass with retumbo, br2 primers and matrix 165vld.
Move your sling studs/holes to the opposite side of the stock from your bolt and you'll love it. Locks the flatter side of the rifle against your body and really makes carry dramatically more comfortable.

I don't typically have a sling on my rifles. I would rather have it in my hand, this stock has such square edges in the area that I typically carry a rifle!:D

IMO that is a fine build. I have 3 rifles built that way on Vanguard actions. Pac-nor, Timney, Boyd's Thumbhole. All shoot very well.

We'll done.

I don't typically have a sling on my rifles. I would rather have it in my hand, this stock has such square edges in the area that I typically carry a rifle!:D
I understand that I'm the same way or used to be but the older I get the more I like to carry it with a sling if I have to walk very far except when bird hunting and I find myself really enjoying lighter and lighter shotguns for some reason... . HA!

Frostop. That is a nice build. I do enjoy a Ruger Bolt Action. As for the sharp edges, a little bit of sandpaper will fix that. For the price, I wouldn't mind if I had to do that on a stock.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.